Foundations of Nursing Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Make sure you have the foundation you need to begin a successful nursing career! Foundations of Nursing, 8th Edition covers the skills needed for clinical practice, from nursing interventions to maternity, neonatal, pediatric, geriatric, mental health, and community health care. Guidelines for patient care are presented within the framework of the nursing process; Nursing Care Plans are described within a case-study format to help you develop skills in clinical decision-making. The accessible, friendly overall style and clearly written review questions also helps you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination!
- Clear coverage of skills across the human lifespan includes maternity, pediatrics, adults, and older adults.
- Full-color, step-by-step instructions for over 110 skills show nursing techniques and procedures along with rationales for each.
- Tenth grade reading level helps you to understand complex topics.
- Expanded and updated Cultural Considerations boxes explore specific health and cultural issues to help you address the needs of the increasingly diverse patient and resident populations.
- Skills are presented in a step-by-step format with clearly defined nursing actions and rationales.
- Mathematics review in Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration chapter covers basic arithmetic skills prior to the discussion of medication administration.
- Safety Alerts cover issues related to safe patient care in a variety of settings.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight information on wellness and disease prevention, including infection control, diet, and pregnancy.
- Nursing Care Plans emphasize patient goals and outcomes within a case-study format, and promotes clinical decision-making with critical thinking questions at the end of each care plan.
- Patient Teaching boxes include post-hospital discharge guidelines and disease prevention instructions with a strong focus on three-way communication among the nurse, patient, and family members.
- Communication boxes illustrate communication strategies using real-life examples of nurse-patient dialogue.
- Lifespan Consideration boxes provide you with age-specific information for the care of the patient.
- Home Health Considerations boxes discuss issues facing patients and their caregivers in the home setting.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination section at the end of each chapter provides Key Points, Review Questions, and Critical Thinking Activities to reinforce learning.
- Coordinated Care boxes promote comprehensive patient care with other members of the health care team, focusing on prioritization, assignment, supervision, collaboration, delegation, and leadership topics.
- NEW! Expanded and updated art program enhances content with original photos and line art
- NEW! NCLEX-PN Review questions at the end of each chapter include alternate item formats and cover all chapter objectives.
- NEW! Reorganized chapters make it easier for you to follow and understand the material.
Unit I: Fundamentals of Nursing 1. The Evolution of Nursing 2. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing 3. Documentation 4. Communication 5. Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 6. Cultural and Ethnic Considerations
Unit II: Fundamentals of Clinical Practice 7. Asepsis and Infection Control 8. Body Mechanics and Patient Mobility 9. Hygiene and Care of the Patient’s Environment 10. Safety 11. Admission, Transfer, and Discharge
Unit III: Introduction to Nursing Interventions 12. Vital Signs 13. Physical Assessment 14. Oxygenation 15. Elimination and Gastric Intubation 16. Care of Patients Experiencing Urgent Alterations in Health 17. Dosage Calculation and Medication Administration 18. Fluids and Electrolytes 19. Nutritional Concepts and Related Therapies 20. Complementary and Alternative Therapies 21. Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep 22. Surgical Wound Care 23. Specimen Collection and Diagnostic Testing
Unit IV: Nursing Care Across the Lifespan 24. Lifespan Development 25. Loss, Grief, Dying, and Death 26. Health Promotion and Pregnancy 27. Labor and Delivery 28. Care of the Mother and Newborn 29. Care of the High-Risk Mother, Newborn, and Family with Special Needs 30. Health Promotion for the Infant, Child, and Adolescent 31. Basic Pediatric Nursing Care 32. Care of the Child with a Physical and Mental or Cognitive Disorder 33. Health Promotion and Care of the Older Adult
Unit V: Fundamentals of Mental Health Nursing 34. Concepts of Mental Health 35. Care of the Patient with a Psychiatric Disorder
Unit VI: Fundamentals of Community Health Nursing 36. Care of the Patient with an Addictive Personality 37. Home Health Nursing 38. Long-Term Care 39. Rehabilitation Nursing 40. Hospice Care
Unit VII: From Graduate to Professional 41. Professional Roles and Leadership
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Appendix B: Laboratory Reference Values Glossary
Kim Cooper, RN, MSN, Chair, Nursing Department Program, Ivy Tech State College, Terre Haute, IN and Kelly Gosnell, RN, MSN, Associate Professor of Nursing
Ivy Tech Community College
Terre Haute, Indiana