Contemporary Orthodontics - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
The leading text for orthodontic education! With a world-renowned author team led by Dr. William Proffit, Contemporary Orthodontics, 6th Edition continues its long tradition of excellence in providing detailed coverage of orthodontic diagnosis, treatment planning, and treatment techniques. Key topics include practical applications of computer technology, alternative treatment approaches, the biomechanics of orthodontic appliances, the selection of efficient treatment procedures, and the treatment of complex problems in both children and adults. A wealth of case studies with photographs and illustrations highlight and reinforce key concepts.
- UNIQUE! A clear writing style and logical organization help you more easily understand important and difficult concepts.
- NEW! Now on the Expert Consult platform, the printed textbook comes with an easy-to-access electronic version of the text that includes references linked to PubMed abstracts.
- Comprehensive coverage provides detailed information on diagnosis, treatment planning, and current treatment procedures.
- NEW and UPDATED! Evidence-based case studies throughout the text reinforce key information to prepare you for the orthodontics portion of the dental boards (which will be case-based starting in 2020), as well as for clinical practice.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Two additional chapters in this edition explore the key topics of Growth Modification in Transverse and Class III Problems and Growth Modification in Class II, Open Bite/Deep Bite, and Multidimensional Problems.
Section I: The Orthodontic Problem
1. Malocclusion and Dentofacial Deformity in Contemporary Society
Section II: The Development of Orthodontic Problems
2. Concepts of Growth and Development
3. Early Stages of Development
4. Later Stages of Development
5. The Etiology of Orthodontic Problems
Section III: Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
6. Orthodontic Diagnosis: The Problem-Oriented Approach
7. Orthodontic Treatment Planning: From Problem List to Specific Plan
Section IV: Biomechanics, Mechanics and Contemporary Orthodontic Appliances
8. The Biologic Basis of Orthodontic Therapy
9. Mechanical Principles in Orthodontic Force Control
10. Contemporary Orthodontic Appliances
Section V: Treatment in Preadolescent Children
11. Moderate Non-Skeletal Problems: Preventive and Interceptive Treatment
12. Complex Non-Skeletal Problems
Section VI: Growth Modification
13. NEW! Growth Modification in Transverse and Class III Problems
14. NEW! Growth Modification in Class II, Open Bite/ Deep Bite, and Multi-Dimensional Problems
Section VII: Comprehensive Orthodontic Treatment in the Early Permanent Dentition
15. The First Stage of Comprehensive Treatment: Alignment and Leveling
16. The Second Stage of Comprehensive Treatment: Correction of Molar Relationship and Space Closure
17. The Third Stage of Comprehensive Treatment: Finishing
Section VIII: Treatment for Adults
19. Special Considerations in Orthodontics for Adults
20. Surgical-Orthodontic Treatment
William R. Proffit, DDS, PhD, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, Henry W. Fields, DDS, MS, MSD, Professor, Orthodontics, Dean, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, Brent Larson and David M. Sarver, DMD, MS, Adjunct Professor, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC; Private Practice, Birmingham, AL