Nutritional Foundations and Clinical Applications - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),7th Edition
Focusing on nutrition and nutritional therapy from the nurses’ perspective, Nutritional Foundations and Clinical Applications: A Nursing Approach, 7th Edition takes a wellness approach based on health promotion and primary prevention It offers guidelines with a human, personal touch, using first-hand accounts to show how nutrition principles apply to patients in real-world practice. This new edition incorporates the most current guidelines and information on key nutrition topics throughout as well as expanded coverage on the role of inflammation in common disease. A favorite of nursing students and instructors, this leading nutrition text promotes healthy diets and shows how nutrition may be used in treating and controlling diseases and disorders.
- Personal Perspective boxes offer first-hand accounts of interactions with patients and their families, demonstrating the personal touch for which this book is known.
- Applying Content Knowledge and Critical Thinking/Clinical Applications case studies help you learn to apply nutrition principles to real-world practice situations.
- Social Issue boxes emphasize ethical, social, and community concerns on local, national international levels to reveal the various influences on health and wellness.
- Teaching Tool boxes include strategies for providing nutrition counseling to patients.
- Health Debate boxes prepare you for encountering differing opinions or controversies about food, nutrition, and health concerns.
- Key terms and a glossary make it easy to learn key vocabulary and concepts.
- NEW! Completely updated content throughout incorporates the latest dietary guidelines and most current information on topics such as good vs. bad fats, nutrition during pregnancy, microbiota/probiotics/prebiotics, and more.
- NEW! Cultural Diversity and Nutrition sections in each chapter highlight health issues and eating patterns related to specific ethnic groups to help you approach, interview, and assess patients from diverse populations.
- NEW! Enhanced coverage of health literacy equips you with strategies for enhancing patient education for those with low literacy skills.
- NEW! Additional Nursing Approach boxes analyze realistic nutrition case studies from the perspective of the nursing process.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of inflammation highlights its pivotal role in conditions such as obesity, cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
PART I: Wellness, Nutrition, and the Nursing Role 1. Wellness Nutrition 2. Personal and Community Nutrition
PART II: Nutrients, Food, and Health 3. Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism 4. Carbohydrates 5. Fats 6. Protein 7. Vitamins 8. Water and Minerals
PART III: Health Promotion Through Nutrition and Nursing Practice 9. Energy, Weight and Fitness 10. Nutrition Across the Life Span
PART IV: Overview of Medical Nutrition Therapy 11. Nutrition Assessment and Patient Care 12. Food-Related Issues 13. Nutrition for Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract 14. Nutrition for Disorders of the Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreas 15. Nutrition for Diabetes Mellitus 16. Nutrition in Metabolic Stress: Burns, Trauma, and Surgery 17. Nutrition for Cardiopulmonary Disease 18. Nutrition for Diseases of the Kidneys 19. Nutrition for Neuro-Psychiatric Disorders 20. Nutrition in Cancer and HIV-AIDS
Michele Grodner, EdD, CHES, Professor and Nutrition Coordinator, Department of Community Health, William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ and Suzanne Dorner, BSN, RN, CCRN, Clinical Nurse, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Tampa General Hospital, Tampa, Florida