Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Learn to improve the respiratory care of neonates, infants, and children. Neonatal and Pediatric Respiratory Care, 5th Edition gives you a solid foundation in the assessment and treatment of respiratory disorders. Clear, full-color coverage simplifies the principles of respiratory care while emphasizing clinical application. A critical piece in respiratory care’s total curriculum solution, this new edition includes all the changes in current clinical practice and in the education environment. Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter break down key content into measurable behaviors, criteria, and conditions, and self-assessment questions provide an excellent review for the NBRC Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty exam.
- UPDATED! Content reflects the latest developments in the field meeting the needs of AD programs and BS Respiratory Care programs which are growing in this field.
- NBRC exam-style assessment questions test your comprehension of the material in each chapter.
- Neonatal and pediatric disorders case studies provide an opportunity to see how content covered in the text applies to the more difficult areas of care for neonatal and pediatric disorders.
- Comprehensive test preparation is provided through coverage of all the content in the matrix for the NPS exam.
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter highlight what you should learn by breaking down key content into measurable behaviors, criteria, and conditions.
- Academic and authoritative presentation of content covers all of the major topics of respiratory care for neonates, infants, and children, including both theory and application.
- Dedicated Quality and Safety chapter addresses quality care for the neonatal/pediatric patient.
- NEW! Revised chapter Invasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Neonate and Pediatric Patient, conforms to the new terminology and taxonomy for modes of ventilation.
- NEW! Additional case studies provides more application opportunities for you.
- NEW! Revised content better correlates to the NBRC NPS exam.
Section 1: Fetal Development Assessment, and Delivery 1. Fetal Lung Development 2. Fetal Gas Exchange and Circulation 3. Antenatal Assessment and High-Risk Delivery
Section 2: Assessment and Monitoring of the Neonatal and Pediatric Patient 4. Examination and Assessment of the Neonatal and Pediatric Patient 5. Pulmonary Function Testing and Bedside Pulmonary Mechanics 6. Radiographic Assessment 7. Pediatric Flexible Bronchoscopy 8. Invasive Blood Gas Analysis and Cardiovascular Monitoring 9. Noninvasive Monitoring in Neonatal and Pediatric Care
Section 3: Therapeutic Procedures for Treatment of Neonatal and Pediatric Disorders 10. Oxygen Administration 11. Aerosols and Administration of Inhaled Medications 12. Airway Clearance Techniques and Hyperinflation Therapy 13. Airway Management 14. Surfactant Replacement Therapy 15. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation and Continuous Positive Pressure of the Neonate 16. Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Infant and Child 17. Invasive Mechanical Ventilation of the Neonate and Pediatric Patient 18. Administration of Gas Mixtures 19. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation 20. Pharmacology 21. Thoracic Organ Transplantation
Section 4: Neonatal and Pediatric Disorders: Presentation, Diagnosis, and Treatment 22. Neonatal Pulmonary Disorders 23. Surgical Disorders in Childhood that Affect Respiratory Care 24. Congenital Cardiac Defects 25. Pediatric Sleep-Disordered Breathing 26. Pediatric Airway Disorders and Parenchymal Lung Diseases 27. Asthma 28. Cystic Fibrosis 29. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome 30. Shock 31. Pediatric Trauma 32. Disorders of the Pleura 33. Neurological and Neuromuscular Disorders
Section 5: Neonatal and Pediatric Transient and Ambulatory Care 34. Transport of Infants and Children 35. Home Care 36. Quality and Safety
Brian K. Walsh, RRT-NPS, ACCS, FAARC, Clinical Research Coordinator
Boston Children's Hospital