Nursing Interventions & Clinical Skills, 7th Edition
Master nursing skills with this guide from the respected Perry, Potter & Ostendorf author team! The concise coverage in Nursing Interventions & Clinical Skills, 7th Edition makes it easy to learn the skills most commonly used in everyday nursing practice. Clear, step-by-step instructions cover more than 160 basic, intermediate, and advanced skills — from measuring body temperature to insertion of a peripheral intravenous device — using evidence-based concepts to improve patient safety and outcomes. A streamlined, visual approach makes the book easy to read, and an Evolve companion website enhances learning with review questions and handy checklists for each clinical skill.
- Coverage of more than 160 skills and interventions addresses the basic, intermediate, and advanced skills you'll use every day in practice.
- Safe Patient Care Alerts highlight risks or other key information to know in performing skills, so you can plan ahead at each step of nursing care.
- Unique! Using Evidence in Nursing Practice chapter provides the information needed to use evidence-based care to solve clinical problems.
- Coverage of evidence-based nursing techniques includes the concept of care bundles, structured practices that improve patient safety and outcomes, in addition to the coverage of teach-back.
- Delegation & Collaboration guidelines help you make decisions in whether to delegate a skill to unlicensed assistive personnel, and indicates what key information must be shared.
- Teach-Back step shows how to evaluate the success of patient teaching, so you can see whether the patient understands a task or topic or if additional teaching may be needed.
- Recording guidelines describe what should be reported and documented after performing skills, with Hand-off Reporting sections listing important patient care information to include in the handoff.
- Special Considerations indicate the additional risks or accommodations you may face when caring for pediatric or geriatric patients, as well as patients in home care settings.
- A consistent format for nursing skills makes it easier to perform skills, organized by Assessment, Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation.
- Media resources include skills performance checklists on the Evolve companion website and related lessons, videos, and interactive exercises on Nursing Skills Online.
- NEW! 2017 Infusion Nurses Society standards are included on administering IVs and on other changes in evidence-based practice.
- NEW Disaster Preparedness chapter focuses on caring for patients after biological, chemical, or radiation exposure.
- NEW! SBAR samples show how to quickly and effectively communicate a patient’s condition in terms of Situation, Background, Assessment, and Recommendation.
- NEW! Practice Reflections sections include a clinical scenario and questions, helping you reflect on clinical and simulation experiences.
- NEW! Three Master Debriefs help you develop a better understanding of the "big picture" by synthesizing skill performance with overall patient care.
Unit 1: Quality and Safety in Nursing Practice
1. Using Evidence in Nursing Practice
2. Communication & Collaboration
3. Documentation and Informatics
4. Patient Safety & Quality Improvement
5. Infection Control
6. Disaster Preparedness
Unit 2: Patient Assessment Skills
7. Vital Signs
8. Health Assessment
9. Specimen Collection
10. Diagnostic Procedures
Unit 3: Basic Human Needs
11. Bathing and Personal Hygiene
12. Care of the Eye and Ear
13. Promoting Nutrition
14. Parenteral Nutrition
15. Pain Management
16. Promoting Oxygenation
Unit 4: Activity and Mobility
17. Safe Patient Handling
18. Exercise, Mobility & Immobilization Devices
Unit 5: Promoting Elimination
19. Urinary Elimination
20. Bowel Elimination
21. Ostomy Care
Unit 6: Medication Administration
22. Preparation for Safe Medication Administration
23. Nonparenteral Medications
24. Parenteral Medications
Unit 7: Dressings and Wound Care
25. Wound Care and Irrigation
26. Pressure Injury Prevention and Care
27. Dressings Bandages and Binders
Unit 8: Complex Nursing Interventions
28. Intravenous Therapy
29. Pre-Operative and Post-Operative Care
30. Emergency Measures for Life Support
Unit 9: Supportive Nursing Interventions
31. End-of-Life Care
32. Home Care Safety
Anne Griffin Perry, RN, EdD, FAAN, Professor and Associate Dean, School of Nursing, Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville, Illinois., Patricia A. Potter, RN, MSN, PhD, FAAN, Director of Research, Patient Care Services, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri and Wendy Ostendorf, RN, MS, EdD, CNE, Walden University Minneapolis,Minnesota