Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Equip students with the foundational knowledge they need to successfully work in a clinical lab with Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics, 8th Edition. From highly respected clinical chemistry expert Nader Rifai, this condensed, easier-to-understand version of the acclaimed Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics uses a laboratory perspective to guide students through selecting and performing diagnostic lab tests and accurately evaluating the results. Fundamental coverage includes laboratory principles, analytical techniques, instrumentation, analytes, pathophysiology, and more. This eighth edition features new clinical cases from The Coakley Collection, new questions from The Deacon’s Challenge of Biochemical Calculations Collection, plus new content throughout the text to ensure your students stay up to date on the latest techniques, instrumentation, and technologies.
- Condensed version of the clinical chemistry "bible" offers the same authoritative and well-presented content in a much more focused and streamlined manner.
- Coverage of analytical techniques and instrumentation includes optical techniques, electrochemistry, electrophoresis, chromatography, mass spectrometry, enzymology, immunochemical techniques, microchips, automation, and point of care testing.
- Updated chapters on molecular diagnostics cover the principles of molecular biology, nucleic acid techniques and applications, and genomes and nucleic acid alterations, reflecting the changes in this rapidly evolving field.
- Learning objectives, key words, and review questions are included in each chapter to support learning.
- More than 500 illustrations plus easy-to-read tables help readers better understand and remember key concepts.
- NEW! Clinical Cases from The Coakley Collection use real-life scenarios to demonstrate how concepts from the text will come in to play in real life practice.
- NEW! Questions from The Deacon’s Challenge of Biochemical Calculations Collection help reinforce concepts and help readers’ critical thinking skills.
- NEW! Updated content throughout the text keeps readers up to date on the latest techniques, instrumentation, and technologies.
- NEW! New lead author Nader Rifai lends his expertise as the Director of Clinical Chemistry at Children’s Hospital in Boston, the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Clinical Chemistry, and a Professor of Pathology at Harvard University.
PART I: PRINCIPLES OF LABORATORY MEDICINE 1. Clinical Chemistry, Molecular Diagnostics, and Laboratory Medicine 2. Analytical and Clinical Evaluation of Methods 3. Preanalytical Variation 4. Biological Variation 5. Establishment and Use of Reference Values 6. Specimen Collection, Processing, and Other Preanalytical Variables 7. Quality Management 8. Principles of Basic Techniques and Laboratory Safety
PART II: ANALYTICAL TECHNIQUES AND INSTRUMENTATION 9. Optical Techniques 10. Electrochemistry and Chemical Sensors 11. Electrophoresis 12. Chromatography 13. Mass Spectrometry 14. Enzyme and Rate Analyses 15. Immunochemical Techniques 16. Automation 17. Point-of-Care Testing
PART III: ANALYTES 18. Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins 19. Serum Enzymes 20. Tumor Markers 21. Kidney Function Tests - Creatinine, GFR, Urea, and Uric Acid 22. Carbohydrates 23. Lipids, Lipoproteins, Apolipoproteins, and Other Cardiac Risk Factors 24. Electrolytes and Blood Gases 25. Hormones 26. Catecholamines and Serotonin 27. Vitaminsand Trace Elements, 28. Hemoglobin, Iron, and Bilirubin 29. Porphyrins and Porphyrias 30. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 31. Clinical Toxicology 32. ToxicElements
PART IV: PATHOPHYSIOLOGY 33. Diabetes Mellitus 34. Cardiovascular Disease 35. Kidney Disease 36. Physiology and Disorders of Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Metabolism 37. Liver Disease 38. Gastrointestinal and Pancreatic Diseases 39. Disorders of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 40. Disorders of the Pituitary Gland 41. Disorders of the Adrenal Cortex 42. Thyroid Disorders 43. Reproduction-Related Disorders 44. Pregnancy and Prenatal Testing 45. Newborn Screening and Inborn Errors of Metabolism 46. Pharmacogenetics
PART V: MOLECULAR DIAGNOSTICS 47. Molecular Principles 48. Molecular Techniques 49. Molecular Applications
Appendix Reference Information for the Clinical Laboratory
Nader Rifai, PhD, Professor Department of Pathology Harvard Medical School; The Louis Joseph Gay-Lussac Chair in Laboratory Medicine Boston Children's Hospital; Director of Clinical Chemistry Laboratory Medicine Boston Children's Hospital Boston, Massachusetts