The Language of Medicine, 12th Edition
Easily and effectively master medical terminology with Davi-Ellen Chabner's The Language of Medicine, 12th Edition! Using Chabner’s proven method of learning medical terms by studying them in the context of the human body, this highly-praised and best-selling text helps individuals of all educational backgrounds easily understand and remember important medical terminology by incorporating easy-to-follow explanations, logical and interesting examples, and countless reinforcement exercises. This new twelfth edition also features additional spotlight boxes on high-interest medical topics; updated medical scenario reports, laboratory tests, and clinical procedures; a new mini dictionary; additional in person stories, ADA-compliant resources, and more. No matter where your career path takes you, Chabner’s proven method for med term mastery will help keep you grounded.
- Fully interactive eBook on VitalSource verison includes open field answers and drop down lists, providing instant feedback and ability to print work pages.
- Simple and easy-to-understand explanations of terms enables learners with little or no previous medical or science background to easily grasp medical terms and concepts.
- Wide variety of interactive exercises provides multiple opportunities to reinforce and remember content.
- Practical applications in each chapter (including case reports, operative and diagnostic tests, laboratory and x-ray reports) help leaners apply knowledge to situations you will encounter in the clinical environment.
- Anatomy, physiology, and pathology coverage is presented in detail with clear illustrations and brilliant images to orient learners to the structure and function of the body system. This format offers the best context for learning the medical terms by showing readers how it is used in practice.
- Actual clinical procedures and lab tests are provided within the body system or medical specialty chapters to further demonstrate medical terminology in action.
- Abbreviations are covered in every chapter to help learners master the medical shorthand used in clinical practice.
- Pronunciations of terms appear at the ends of chapters along with phonetic spellings.
- Comprehensive glossaries (word parts to English and English to word parts) and appendices (plurals, abbreviations, drug resource, and hematologic lab reference) appear at the end of the text and serve as quick references for use in class and on the job.
- Error-prone abbreviations list derived from the Joint Commission alerts reader to abbreviations that should not be used in the clinical setting.
- Interactive learner resources on companion website provide users with endless practice building, spelling, listening to, and understanding medical terms, while providing instant feedback.
- NEW! Updated medical scenario reports, exercises, laboratory tests, and clinical procedures give learners practice with medical terminology in current clinical settings.
- NEW! Mini-Dictionary gives simple, leveled definitions for each of the approximately 2,800 individual medical terms covered in the text.
- NEW! ADA compliant online student resources ensure learners with disabilities can take full advantage of the supplemental web-based learning tools.
- NEW! Additional Spotlight boxes focus on high-interest medical topics such as opioid addiction, immunotherapy, and chronic traumatic encephalopathy.
- NEW! Additional In Person stories bring medical terminology to life.
1.Basic Word Structure
2.Terms Pertaining to the Body as a Whole
6.Additional Suffixes and Digestive System Terminology
8.Female Reproductive System
9.Male Reproductive System
14.Lymphatic and Immune Systems
17.Sense Organs: The Eye and the Ear
19.Cancer Medicine (Oncology)
20.Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
Medical Word Parts to English Glossary
English to Medical Word Parts Glossary
Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT, Newton Centre, MA