Medical-Surgical Nursing,7th Edition
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to effectively care for adult patients. Medical-Surgical Nursing, 7th Edition covers both medical-surgical and psychiatric mental health conditions and disorders while building on the fundamentals of nursing. This essential text focuses on nursing roles, settings, trends, body systems and their disorders, and emergency and disaster management. Unique to this edition is the gerontologic nursing unit which addresses physiologic and psychosocial changes in the older adult, along with related disorders common to the elder patient - the primary patient group population you’ll encounter in practice. It also emphasizes culturally competent care and holistic nursing, while thoroughly covering all relevant NCLEX-PN® test plan content. With updated guidelines on diabetes, heart failure, asthma, COPD, and cancer treatment protocols, no other resource offers the breadth of topics at a level that is so perfectly tailored to the LPN/LVN student.
- UNIQUE! Gerontologic nursing unit covers physiologic and psychosocial changes in the older adult, along with related disorders common to the elder patient, the primary patient group for whom LPNs provide care.
- UNIQUE! In-depth pharmacology coverage includes: the Pharmacology Tutorial covering drug classifications, how drugs work, and nursing responsibilities; Pharmacology Capsules boxes providing medication information, precautions for use, interactions, and side/adverse effects; and Pharmacology and Medications tables including classification, use/action, side/adverse effects, and nursing interventions.
- Nursing care plans reinforce the nursing process and focus on critical thinking.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN® Examination! sections at the end of chapters include key points, review questions, and case studies that address the various NCLEX® Client Needs categories.
- Coordinated Care boxes highlight team approach to patient care, helping you to prioritize tasks and assign them safely to assistive personnel.
- Patient Teaching Plans provide bulleted lists of nursing instructions for patients, stressing the role and responsibility of the LPN/LVN to reinforce patient education.
- Health Promotion Considerations boxes highlight timely wellness and disease prevention topics.
- Cultural Considerations boxes discuss the importance of providing culturally competent care related to various clinical situations.
- Put on Your Thinking Cap boxes allow you to pause and consider the practical implications of what you have just read.
- Nutritional Considerations boxes are spotlighted at appropriate points throughout the text to emphasize the role that nutrition plays in disease and nursing care.
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies focus on nontraditional therapies along with precautions and possible side effects.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations help improve terminology and language skills of English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) students and students with limited proficiency in English before they enter clinical practice.
- NEW! Organization of disorders units consolidates anatomy and physiology, nursing assessment/data collection, and diagnostic tests into one chapter.
- NEW! Updated guidelines on diabetes, heart failure, asthma, COPD, and cancer provides you with latest treatment protocols.
UNIT I: Medical-Surgical Nursing 1. Aspects of Medical-Surgical Nursing 2. Medical-Surgical Practice Settings
UNIT II: Populations Receiving Medical-Surgical Care 3. Medical-Surgical Patients: Individuals, Families, and Communities
UNIT III: Pathology Processes and Effects 4. Health, Illness, Stress, and Coping 5. Immunity, Inflammation, and Infection 6. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 7. Cancer 8. Pain 9. Shock
UNIT IV: Special Problems of the Older Adult Patient 10. The Older Adult Patient 11. Falls 12. Immobility 13. Delirium & Dementia 14. Incontinence
UNIT V: Therapeutics 15. Nutrition 16. Intravenous Therapy 17. Surgery 18. Ostomy 19. Palliative and Hospice Care 20. Complementary and Alternative Therapies
UNIT VI: Neurological System 21. Neurological System Introduction 22. Neurological Disorders 23. Cerebrovascular Accident 24. Spinal Cord Injury
UNIT VII: Respiratory System 25. Respiratory System Introduction 26. Upper Respiratory Disorders 27. Acute Lower Respiratory Disorders 28. Chronic Lower Respiratory Tract Disorders
UNIT VIII: Hematologic and Immunologic Systems 29. Hematologic System Introduction 30. Hematologic Disorders 31. Immunologic System Introduction 32. Immunologic Disorders
UNIT IX: Cardiovascular System 33. Cardiovascular System Introduction 34. Cardiac Disorders 35. Vascular Disorders 36. Hypertension
UNIT X: Digestive System 37. Digestive System Introduction 38. Upper Digestive Tract Disorders 39. Lower Digestive Tract Disorders 40. Liver, Gallbladder, and Pancreatic Disorders
UNIT XI: Urologic System 41. Urologic System Introduction 42. Urologic Disorders
UNIT XII: Musculoskeletal System 43. Musculoskeletal System Introduction 44. Connective Tissue Disorders 45. Fractures 46. Amputations
UNIT XIII: Endocrine System 47. Endocrine System Introduction 48. Pituitary and Adrenal Disorders 49. Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders 50. Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
UNIT XIV: Reproductive Systems 51. Female Reproductive System Introduction 52. Female Reproductive Disorders 53. Male Reproductive System Introduction 54. Male Reproductive Disorders 55. Sexually Transmitted Infections
UNIT XV: Integumentary Systems 56. Integumentary System Introduction 57. Skin Disorders
UNIT XVI: Special Senses 58. Special Senses Introduction 59. Eye and Vision Disorders 60. Ear and Hearing Disorders
UNIT XVII: Medical-Surgical Patients with Psychiatric Disorders 61. Psychobiologic Disorders 62. Substance Abuse
UNIT XVIII: Nursing in Disasters and First Aid 63. First Aid, Emergency Care, and Disaster Management
Adrianne Dill Linton, PhD, RN, FAAN, Professor and Chair, Department of Family Community Care Systems, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, School of Nursing, San Antonio, TX and Mary Ann Matteson, PhD, RN, FAAN