Case Studies in Public Health Nursing - Access Card, 1st Edition
Online Course - Access Card
Gain a better understanding of the nurse’s role in caring for populations and the community. The detailed scenarios in Case Studies in Public Health Nursing: Online Practice and Application are real-life situations, designed to promote active learning, classroom discussions, and full comprehension of the material. Over 50 engaging scenarios are presented in a consistent format to help you quickly grasp topics such as community assessment, health promotion, and vulnerable populations. Featuring robust online content along with an accompanying user’s guide, these case studies are ideal for use in conjunction with a community health textbook. Plus, suggested readings corresponding to Elsevier community health textbooks are included to help foster a rich learning experience!
Note: This product is a user’s guide booklet with a pin code that provides access to over 50 case studies on Evolve.
Duration for access to this product, which may be at the discretion of your institution, is up to 36 months. Elsevier reserves the right to restrict or remove access due to changes in product portfolio or other market conditions.
- NEW! More than 50 online, unfolding case studies bring community/public health nursing to life in order to help you understand how the role of the public health nurse fits into unique populations.
- NEW! Each case study is organized in a consistent format featuring objectives, unfolding case scenarios, gradable NCLEX®-style review questions, and open-ended critical thinking and discussion questions.
- NEW! Suggested readings from Elsevier community health textbooks (Nies, Stanhope, Edelman) are included so you can easily cross-reference relevant content.
- NEW! Answer guidelines are provided for all critical thinking and discussion questions.
- NEW! Helpful printed User’s Guide includes an overview of public health nursing, a full description of each case study, and instructions for using the product.
- NEW! A list of relevant Giddens concepts is provided for each case study.
- NEW! Each case study incorporates evidence-based practice and exemplifies public health nursing interventions from the Intervention Wheel.
- NEW! The Quad Council Coalition’s Community/Public Health Nursing Competencies provide the framework for the case studies, ensuring practice examples for each competency domain are included.
1. Upstream Thinking: Introduction to Community/Public Health Nursing 2. Determinants of Health 3. Culture of Health
Competencies for PHN Domain 1 – Analytic and Assessment Skills
4. Community Assessment Part 1: Shoe Leather/Windshield Survey and Key Informant Interview 5. Community Assessment Part 2: Using Data Sources 6. Individual Health Risk Assessment 7. Family Health Risk Assessment 8. Environmental Health Risk Assessment
Competencies for PHN Domain 2: Policy Development/Program Planning Skills
9. Policy Development to Protect Health: Local Community Level Policy 10. Policy Development to Protect Health: State Level Policy 11. Policy Development to Protect Health: National Level Policy 12. Program Planning 13. Disaster Planning & Management Part 1: Mitigation & Preparation 14. Disaster Planning & Management Part 2: Response & Recovery
Competencies for PHN Domain 3: Communication Skills
15. Health Literacy 16. Individual Health Promotion 17. Family Health Promotion 18. Community Health Promotion
Competencies for PHN Domain 4: Cultural Competence Skills
19. Advocating and Working with Diverse Populations 20. Targeted Health Information for At-Risk Populations 21. Evaluate Agency Practices and Policies for Cultural Competence
Competencies for PHN Domain 5: Community Dimensions of Practice
22. Task Force Development 23. Coalition Development 24. Navigating United States Health Care System
Competencies for PHN Domain 6: Public Health Science Skills
25. Disease Outbreak – Infectious Disease in a College Dorm 26. Disease Outbreak – Foodborne Illness 27. Disease Outbreak – Potential Epidemic 28. Disease Outbreak – Global Health Risk 29. Disease Outbreak – Emerging Disease 30. Community Based Participatory Research
Competencies for PHN Domain 7: Financial Planning and Management Skills
31. Board of Health Report 32. Proposal for Funding from External Source 33. Delivering Care within Budgetary Guidelines 34. Conflict Management
Competencies for PHN Domain 8: Leadership and Systems Thinking Skills
35. Adhering to Ethical Standards 36. Nurse Managed Centers 37. Quality Management and Improvement 38. Public Health Workforce
39. Populations Affected with Disabilities 40. Poverty and Homeless 41. Rural and Migrant Health 42. Substance Abuse 43. Violence & Human Abuse
A Day in the Life: Specialty Practice
44. Case Management 45. Faith Community Nursing 46. Forensic and Correctional Nursing 47. Genomics 48. Global Health 49. Home Health and Hospice 50. Occupational Health 51. School Nursing