Burt and Eklund’s Dentistry, Dental Practice, and the Community - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Learn about the challenges, current trends, and the positive role that you can play in improving the dental health of the community. Completely revised and updated by members of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry, Burt and Eklund's Dentistry, Dental Practice, and the Community, 7th Edition presents dentistry and dental practice against the ever-changing backdrop of economic, technological, and demographic trends, as well as the distribution of the oral diseases that dental professionals treat and prevent. Readers will learn the latest techniques of research and measurement, and how oral disease may be limited through control and prevention. This updated text also addresses the new educational competencies for predoctoral/ post-doctoral dental students and dental hygiene students with updated and new content on cultural competency, oral health literacy, social responsibility, motivational interviewing, and oral systemic associations. All in all, this text takes a comprehensive look at the social context of dental care and the difference you can make in improving the health of the community you serve.
- Logical four-part organization divides content into dentistry and the community; dental care delivery; methods and measurement of oral diseases and conditions; and health promotion and prevention of oral diseases.
- A focus on need-to-know content emphasizes the important core information while providing comprehensive coverage of dental public health.
- Comprehensive analysis of dentistry’s social and professional role examines issues such as epidemiology of oral diseases, prevention, and the provision of care.
- Evidence-based recommendations reflect the latest literature on today’s public health issues.
- Illustrations, tables, and graphics illustrate the key material and visually enhance discussions.
- NEW! Completely revised and updated content looks at populations oral health and dental care as well as how it fits into a changing world.
- NEW! Coverage of new educational competencies provides predoctoral/ post-doctoral dental students and dental hygiene students with updated and new content on cultural competency, oral health literacy, social responsibility, motivational interviewing, and oral systemic associations.
- NEW! New chapters cover the applications of epidemiology and biostatistics in dental public health, oral health as it related to quality of life, oral health education, health literacy, social determinants of health and health disparities, and delivery of oral healthcare in Canada.
- NEW! Newly revised competencies for the Dental Public Health specialty are incorporated throughout the book.
Dentistry and the Community
1. The Practice of Dental Public Health
2. Social Determinants of Health and Oral Health Disparities
3. Access to Dental Care
4. Ethics and Dental Public Health
Dental Care Delivery
5. Delivery of Oral Health Care in the United States
6. Delivery of Oral health Care in Canada
7. Financing Dental Care or Dental Care Financing
8. The Oral Health Workforce
9. Environmental Health Issues in Dentistry (Infection control, mercury safety, BPA)
10. Reading the Dental Literature
11. Evidence-Based Dentistry
Methods and Measurement of Oral Diseases and Conditions
12. Research Designs in Oral Epidemiology
13. Application of Biostatistics in Dental Public Health
14. Measurement and Distribution of Dental Caries
15. Measurement and Distribution of Periodontal Disease
16. Measurement and Distribution of Oral Cancer
17. Measurement and Distribution of Edentulism and Tooth Retention
18. Measurement and Distribution of Malocclusion, Trauma, Congenital Anomalies
19. Measurement and Distribution of Dental Fluorosis
20. Oral Health Related Quality of Life and Wellbeing
Health Promotion and Prevention of Oral Diseases
21. Health Behavior and Oral Health Promotion
22. Oral Health Education and Health Literacy in Dental Public Health
23. Diet and Oral Health
24. Fluoride and Human Health
25. Fluoride and Caries Prevention
26. Dental Sealants and Caries Prevention
27. Plaque Control and Promotion of Periodontal Health
28. Tobacco Control and Oral Health
Amer Assoc of Public Health Dentistry, Christopher Okunseri and Bruce Dye