A Practice of Anesthesia for Infants and Children Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Covering everything from preoperative evaluation to neonatal emergencies to the PACU, A Practice of Anesthesia in Infants and Children, 6th Edition, features state-of-the-art advice on the safe, effective administration of general and regional anesthesia to young patients. It reviews underlying scientific information, addresses preoperative assessment and anesthesia management in detail, and provides guidelines for postoperative care, emergencies, and special procedures. Comprehensive in scope and thoroughly up to date, this 6th Edition delivers unsurpassed coverage of every key aspect of pediatric anesthesia.
Duration for access to this product, which may be at the discretion of your institution, is up to 84 months. Elsevier reserves the right to restrict or remove access due to changes in product portfolio or other market conditions.
- Includes a laminated pocket reference guide inside – also available as an expanded online version ("Pedi Anesth" from the Starship Children’s Hospital in Auckland, NZ).
- Features key references at the end of each chapter that provide a quick summary for review.
- Presents must-know information on standards, techniques, and the latest advances in pediatric anesthesia from global experts.
- Provides access to a video library of 70 pediatric anesthesia procedures – 35 are new! Videos include demonstrations on managing the difficult pediatric airway, cardiac assist devices in action, new positioning devices, management of burn injuries, and many demonstrations of ultra-sound guided regional anesthesia blocks and techniques.
- Features extensive revisions of all chapters with many new contributors, and numerous new figures and tables throughout.
- Introduces new drugs such as those used to premedicate children and facilitate emergence from anesthesia, plus an up-to-date discussion of the drug approval process and detailed information on opioid safety for children with obstructive sleep.
- Includes new chapters on pharmacogenomic implications of drugs in children and the anesthetic implications when caring for children with cancer.
- Offers up-to-date information on the management of emergence agitation, sleep-disordered breathing, neonatal and pediatric emergencies, and the obese child and bariatric surgery.
- The Essentials chapters, with extensive input from pediatrician experts, provide the latest information concerning hematology, pulmonology, oncology, hepatology, nephrology, and neurology.
- Contains significant updates on perioperative fluid management, pharmacology, intravenous anesthesia and target controlled infusions, cystic fibrosis, new interventional devices for children with congenital heart defects, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, simulation in pediatric anesthesia, and much more.
- Expert Consult™ eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
A Practice of Anesthesia for Infants and Children
Section 1: Introduction
1. The Practice of Pediatric Anesthesia
2. Growth and Development
3. Perioperative Behavior Stress in Children
4. Preoperative Evaluation, Premedication, and Induction of Anesthesia
5. Ethical Issues in Pediatric Anesthesiology
Section 2: Drug and Fluid Therapy
7. Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacology of Drugs Used in Children
8. Total Intravenous Anesthesia and Target-Controlled Infusion
9. Fluid Management
10. Essentials of Hematology
11. Perioperative Management of the Oncology Patient
12. Strategies for Blood Product Management and Reducing Transfusions
Section 3: The Chest
13. Essentials of Pulmonology
14. The Pediatric Airway
15. Anesthesia for Thoracic Surgery
Section 4: The Heart
16. Essentials of Cardiology
17. Anesthesia for Children Undergoing Heart Surgery
18. Cardiac Physiology and Pharmacology
19. Cardiopulmonary Bypass and Management
20. Medications for Hemostasis
21. Mechanical Circulatory Support
22. Interventional Cardiology
23. Anesthesia for Non-cardiac Surgery in Children with Congenital Heart Disease
Section 5: The Brain and Glands
24. Essentials of Neurology and Neuromuscular Diseases
25. Surgery, Anesthesia, and the Immature Brain
26. Pediatric Neurosurgical Anesthesia
27. Essentials of Endocrinology
Section 6: The Abdomen
28. Essentials of Nephrology
29. General Abdominal and Urologic Surgery
30. Essentials of Hepatology
31. Organ Transplantation
Section 7: Other Surgeries
32. Orthopedic and Spine Surgery
33. Otorhinolaryngologic Procedures
35. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
36. Burn Injuries
Section 8: Emergencies
37. The Extremely Premature Infant (Micropremie) and Neonatal Emergencies
38. Fetal Intervention and the EXIT Procedure
40. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
41. Malignant Hyperthermia
Section 9: Pain
42. Regional Anesthesia
43. Ultrasound Guided Regional Anesthesia
44. Acute Pain
45. Chronic Pain
Section 10: Special Topics
46. Anesthesia Outside the Operating Room
47. The Postanesthesia Care Unit and Beyond
48. Sedation for Diagnostic and Therapeutic Procedures Outside the Operating Room
49. Procedures for Vascular Access
50. Infectious Disease Considerations for the Operating Room
51. Pediatric Anesthesia in Developing Countries
52. Pediatric Equipment
Charles J. Cote, MD, FAAP, Professor of Anaesthesia, Harvard Medical School; Director of Clinical Research, Division of Pediatric Anesthesia, MassGeneral Hospital for Children; Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, Jerrold Lerman, MD,FRCPC, FANZCA, Clinical Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY; Department of Anesthesiology, Children's Hospital of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA and Brian Anderson, MD, ChB, PhD, FANZCA, FCICM, Professor, Anaesthesiology, University of Auckland; Paediatric Anaesthetist and Intensivist, Paediatic Intensive Care Unit, Auckland Children's Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand