Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Gain a full understanding of both basic and complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics. Beautifully designed and easy to follow, Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography, 8th Edition promotes the safe use of ionizing radiation in all imaging modalities, including the effects of radiation on humans at the cellular and systemic levels, regulatory and advisory limits for human exposure to radiation, and the implementation of radiation safety practices for patients and personnel. This market-leading text reflects the latest ARRT and ASRT curriculum guidelines to help you succeed on the ARRT exam. Plus, the new edition includes tables with sensitivity ranges to provide easy reference for each type of dosimeter.
- Convenient, easy-to-use features include chapter outlines and objectives, listing and highlighting of key terms, and bulleted summaries, general discussion questions, and review questions to enhance student comprehension and retention.
- NCRP and ICRP content includes guidelines, regulations, and radiation quantities and units, explaining the effects of low-level ionizing radiation, demonstrating the link between radiation and cancer and other diseases, and providing the regulatory perspective needed for practice.
- Clear and concise writing style covers complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics in a building-block approach from basic to more complex concepts.
- Timely coverage of radiation protection regulations addresses radiation awareness and education efforts across the globe.
- NEW! Chapter Radiation Safety in Computed Tomography and Mammography compiles content on tomography and mammography into one chapter.
- UPDATED! Full-color equipment images and illustrations reinforce important information.
- UPDATED! Content reflects the latest ARRT and ASRT curriculum guidelines.
- Review questions are included at the end of chapters to assess your comprehension, with answers on the Evolve companion website.
- NEW! Key-word glossary helps you find and understand need-to-know terms.
- NEW! Additional tables with sensitivity ranges makes each type of dosimeters easy to reference
1.Introduction to Radiation Protection
2.Radiation: Types, Sources, and Doses Received
3.Interaction of X-Radiation with Matter
4.Radiation Quantities and Units
6.Overview of Cell Biology
7.Molecular and Cellular Radiation Biology
8.Early Tissue Reactions and Their Effects on Organ Systems
9.Stochastic Effects and Late Tissue Reactions of Radiation in Organ Systems
10.Dose Limits for Exposure to Ionizing Radiation
11.Equipment Design for Radiation Protection
12.Management of Patient Radiation Dose During Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
13.Radiation Safety in Computed Tomography and Mammography
14.Management of Imaging Personnel Radiation Dose During Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
15.Radioisotopes and Radiation Protection
A.Relationship Between Systems of Units
B.Standard Designations for Metric System Lengths, Electron Volts, Energy Levels, and Frequency Spectrum Ranges
C.Periodic Table of Elements
D.Chance of a 50KeV Photon Interacting with Atoms of Tissue as It Travels Through 5 cm of Soft Tissue
E.Relationship Among Photons, Electromagnetic Waves, Wavelengths, and Energy
F.Electron Shell Structure of the Atom
H.Revision of 10 CFR Part 35*
I.Consumer-Patient Radiation Health and Safety Act of 1981*
J.Image Gently Pledge
K.Image Wisely Pledge
Mary Alice Statkiewicz Sherer, AS, RT(R), FASRT, Radiography Instructor, High-Tech Institute, Nashville, TN, Paula J. Visconti, PhD, DABR, Director of Medical Physics, Radiation Safety Officer, Memorial Hospital of Burlington County, Mount Holly, NJ, E. Russell Ritenour, PhD, DABR, FAAPM, FACR, Professor and Director of Physics Section, Department of Radiology, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN and Kelli Welch Haynes, RT(R)