Primary Care, 6th Edition
There’s no better preparation for Nurse Practitioners and others in the adult primary care field! Primary Care: Interprofessional Collaborative Practice, 6th Edition provides the concise yet thorough information that you need in today's fast-paced, interprofessional, collaborative environment. With authorship reflecting both academic and clinical expertise, this comprehensive, evidence-based primary care text/reference shows you how to deliver effective, truly interdisciplinary health care. It covers every major adult disorder seen in the outpatient office setting and features a unique interprofessional collaborative approach with referral/consultation highlights and more. New to this edition is an increased emphasis on rationales for recommendations, pharmacotherapeutics and drug decision-making, and diagnostic direction providing guidance in management, prescribing medications, and ordering diagnostic tests.
- Comprehensive, evidence-based, accurate, and current content focused on the needs of adult primary care providers.
- UNIQUE! Interprofessional collaborative approach with referral/consultation highlights.
- UNIQUE! Initial Diagnostics boxes provide quick reference to key decision-making content.
- NEW and UPDATED! Increased emphasis on rationales for treatment recommendations, pharmacotherapeutics and drug decision-making, and diagnostic direction.
- NEW and UPDATED! Revamped and new introductory chapters:
- NEW and UNIQUE! Patient/Family Education and Health Literacy chapter.
- NEW and UNIQUE! New Human Trafficking chapter.
- NEW chapters covering wellness, risk management, and LGBTQ patient care highlight risks, disparities in healthcare, and information to increase the well-being and care for all patients.
- Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Where We Are Today chapter now includes content on the importance of interprofessional collaboration to underscore the significance of this paradigm shift and stress that NPs and other adult primary care providers must increasingly view themselves as part of a team, especially in management of patients with multiple co-morbidities.
- Translating Research into Clinical Practice chapter refocused to emphasize DNP scholarly projects and quality improvement projects.
- UNIQUE! Patient/Family Education and Health Literacy chapter.
- Genetic Considerations in Primary Care chapter refocused on the graduate-level primary care genetics competencies.
- Palliative Care chapter refocused on pain management with special sensitivity to the opioid epidemic.
- NEW! Red Flag features highlight issues not to be missed.
- NEW! Consistent chapter format and features reflect the systematic approach used in adult primary care practice to promote improved clinical reasoning skills, facilitate learning, and foster quick clinical reference.
- UPDATED! Content on routine health screenings and immunizations converted to tables for quick reference.
Part 1: Introduction 1. Interprofessional Collaborative Practice: Where We Are Today 2. Translating Research into Clinical Practice 3. Empowering Patients as Collaborative partners: A New Model for Primary Care 4. Coordinated Chronic Care 5. An Introduction to Health Care Disparities and Culturally Responsive Primary Care 6. Patient/Family Education and Health Literacy 7. Genetic Considerations in Primary Care 8. Risk Management
Part 2: Primary Care: Adolescence Through Adulthood 9. Adolescent Issues 10. LGBTQ Patient Care: Care of Sexual and Gender Minority People 11. Pregnancy, Prenatal Care, and Lactation 12. Human Trafficking 13. Aging and Common Geriatric Syndromes 14. Palliative Care 15. Acute, Chronic, Oncologic, and End-of-Life Pain Management in Primary Care
Part 3: Health Promotion 16. Wellness: An Integrative Perspective 17. Obesity and Weight Management 18. Principles of Occupational and Environmental Health in Primary Care 19. College Health 20. Presurgical Clearance 21. Preparticipation Sports Physical
Part 4: Office Emergencies 22. Acute Bronchospasm 23. Anaphylaxis 24. Bites and Stings 25. Bradycardia and Tachycardia 26. Chemical Exposure 27. Electrical Injuries 28. Environmental and Food Allergies 29. Head Trauma 30. Hypotension 31. Poisoning 32. Sexual Assault 33. Syncope 34. Thermal Injuries
Part 5: Evaluation and Management of Skin Disorders 35. Examination of the Skin and Approach to Diagnosis of Skin Disorders 36. Surgical Office Procedures 37. Principles of Dermatologic Therapy 38. Screening for Skin Cancer 39. Adnexal Disease 40. Alopecia 41. Animal and Human Bites 42. Benign Skin Lesions 43. Bullous Pemphigoid 44. Burns (Minor) 45. Cutaneous adverse drug reactions 46. Eczematous Dermatitis 47. Infections and Infestations 48. Nail Disorders 49. Maculopapular Skin Disorders 50. Pigmentation Changes 51. Wound Management
Part 6: Evaluation and Management of Eye Disorders 52. Evaluation of the Eyes 53. Cataracts 54. Blepharitis, Hordeolum, and Chalazion 55. Conjunctivitis 56. Corneal Surface Defects and Ocular Surface Foreign Bodies 57. Dry Eye Syndrome 58. Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction and Dacryocystitis 59. Preseptal and Orbital Cellulitis 60. Pingueculae and Pterygia 61. Traumatic Ocular Disorders
Part 7: Evaluation and Management of Ear Disorders 62. Auricular Disorders 63. Cerumen Impaction 64. Cholesteatoma 65. Impaired Hearing 66. Inner Ear Disturbances 67. Otitis Externa 68. Otitis Media 69. Tympanic Membrane Perforation
Part 8: Evaluation and Management of Nose Disorders 70. Chronic Nasal Congestion and Discharge 71. Epistaxis 72. Nasal Trauma 73. Rhinitis 74. Sinusitis 75. Smell and Taste Disturbances 76. Tumors and Polyps of the Nose
Part 9: Evaluation and Management of Oropharynx Disorders 77. Dental Abscess 78. Diseases of the Salivary Glands 79. Epiglottitis 80. Oral Infections 81. Parotitis 82. Peritonsillar Abscess 83. Pharyngitis and Tonsillitis
Part 10: Evaluation and Management of Pulmonary Disorders 84. Acute Bronchitis 85. Asthma 86. Chest Pain (Noncardiac) 87. Chronic Cough 88. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 89. Dyspnea 90. Hemoptysis 91. Lung Cancer 92. Pleural Effusions and Pleurisy 93. Pneumonia 94. Pneumothorax 95. Pulmonary Embolism 96. Pulmonary Hypertension 97. Sarcoidosis
Part 11: Evaluation and Management of Cardiovascular Disorders 98. Cardiac Diagnostic Testing: Noninvasive Assessment of Coronary Artery Disease 99. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm 100. Cardiac Arrhythmias 101. Carotid Artery Disease 102. Chest Pain and Coronary Artery Disease 103. Heart Failure 104. Hypertension 105. Infective Endocarditis 106. Myocarditis 107. Peripheral Arterial and Venous Insufficiency 108. Valvular Heart Disease and Cardiac Murmurs
Part 12: Evaluation and Management of Gastrointestinal Disorders 109. Abdominal Pain and Infections 110. Anorectal Complaints 111. Cholelithiasis and Cholecystitis 112. Cirrhosis 113. Constipation 114. Diarrhea, Noninfectious 115. Diverticular Disease 116. Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Adults 117. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease 118. Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage 119. Hepatitis 120. Inflammatory Bowel Disease 121. Irritable Bowel Syndrome 122. Jaundice 123. Nausea and Vomiting 124. Pancreatitis 125. Tumors of the Gastrointestinal Tract 126. Peptic Ulcer Disease
Part 13: Evaluation and Management of Genitourinary Disorders 127. Incontinence 128. Prostate Cancer 129. Prostatic Hyperplasia (Benign) 130. Proteinura and Hematuria 131. Renal Failure 132. Sexual Dysfunction (Male) 133. Testicular Disorders 134. Urinary Calculi 135. Urinary Tract Infections and Sexually Transmitted Infections 136. Uropathies (Obstructive) and Tumors of the Genitourinary Tract (Kidneys, Ureters, and Bladder)
Part 14: Evaluation and Management of Gynecologic Concerns 137. Amenorrhea 138. Bartholin Gland Cysts and Abscesses 139. Breast Disorders 140. Chronic Pelvic Pain 141. Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 142. Dysmenorrhea 143. Dyspareunia 144. Ectopic Pregnancy 145. Fertility Control 146. Genital Tract Cancers 147. Infertility 148. Menopause 149. Cervical Cancer Screening Abnormalities 150. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease 151. Sexual Dysfunction (Female) 152. Unplanned Pregnancy 153. Vulvar and Vaginal Disorders
Part 15: Evaluation and Management of Musculoskeletal and Arthritic Disorders 154. Ankle and Foot Pain 155. Bone Lesions: Neoplasms and Tumor Mimickers 156. Bursitis 157. Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome 158. Gout 159. Septic Arthritis 160. Low Back Pain 161. Hip Pain 162. Knee Pain 163. Metabolic Bone Disease: Osteoporosis and Paget's Disease of the Bone 164. Neck Pain 165. Osteoarthritis 166. Osteomyelitis 167. Shoulder Pain 168. Sprains, Strains, and Fractures 169. Elbow Pain 170. Hand and Wrist Pain
Part 16: Evaluation and Management of Neurologic Disorders 171. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis 172. Bell's Palsy 173. Cerebrovascular Events 174. Dementia 175. Dizziness and Vertigo 176. Guillain-Barré Syndrome 177. Headache 178. Infections of the Central Nervous System 179. Movement Disorders and Essential Tremor 180. Multiple Sclerosis 181. Parkinson's Disease 182. Seizure Disorder 183. Trigeminal Neuralgia 184. Intracranial Tumors
Part 17: Evaluation and Management of Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders
Terry Mahan Buttaro, PhD, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, CEN, FAANP, FNAP, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Boston, Massachusetts; Coastal Medical Associates, Salisbury, Massachusetts, Patricia Polgar-Bailey, MS, MPH, APRN, BC, FNP, CDE, BC-ADM, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Manager, UVa-Healthsouth Rehabilitation Hospital, Charlottesville, Virginia, Joanne Sandberg-Cook, MS, APRN, BC, ANP, GNP, ACHPN, Adult/Gerontologic Nurse Practitioner, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire; Instructor in Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire and JoAnn Trybulski, PhD, ARNP, FNAP, Director, DNP Program, Chamberlain College of Nursing, Doral, Florida