Front Office Management for the Veterinary Team,3rd Edition
Learn to navigate the day-to-day skills you need to be a valuable member of the veterinary office team! Front Office Management for the Veterinary Team, 3rd Edition covers veterinary office duties ranging from: scheduling appointments to billing and accounting, managing inventory and medical records, marketing, using outside diagnostic laboratory services, and communicating effectively and compassionately with clients. This edition includes two all-new chapters on strategic planning and leadership, updated coverage of office procedures, veterinary ethics, and technology. In addition, this complete guide to veterinary practice management features step-by-step instructions, making it easier for you to master vital front office tasks!
- UPDATED! Chapters include the most current information on team leadership, veterinary ethics and legal issues, human resources, and finance management.
- UPDATED! Coverage of technology and procedures includes new computer screen shots and new photos.
- Comprehensive coverage of front office skills includes telephone skills, appointment scheduling, admitting and discharging patients, and communicating with clients.
- Review questions and suggested activities reinforce important concepts presented in each chapter.
- Coverage of clinical assisting ranges from examinations and history taking for patients to kennels and boarding procedures, as well as radiology and laboratory procedures.
- Veterinary Ethics and Legal Issues chapter helps you protect the practice, and run an office based on ethical principles.
- An Evolve companion website lets you practice front office tasks with exercises in bookkeeping/accounts receivable, appointment management, and charting.
- Downloadable working forms offer practice in completing sample checks, laboratory forms, and incident reports.
- Information on electronic banking and tax forms ensures that you adhere to the latest financial guidelines.
- Information on security in office communication covers the most current methods of safe, electronic communication.
- Practice Point boxes highlight practical information to remember while on the job.
- Veterinary Hospital Managers Association (VHMA) Critical Competencies are highlighted in each chapter.
- NEW! Strategic Planning chapter discusses how to strategically plan for the successful future of the veterinary hospital, and will include details on growing the practice, planning the workforce, meeting consumer needs, and increasing the value of the practice.
- NEW! The Leadership Team chapter discusses how leadership affects the paraprofessional staff, provides suggestions for effective leadership strategies, and methods to set expectations for employees, including attracting and retaining employees, leveraging, empowering and driving employee engagement.
- NEW! Standard Operating Procedures provides a checklist of important tasks associated with that chapter that must be addressed/completed in the veterinary practice setting.
Section I: Veterinary Practice Team and Development 1. Veterinary Health Care Team Members 2. The Leadership Team 3. The Receptionist Team 4. The Veterinary Technician Team 5. Human Resources 6. Veterinary Ethics and Legal Issues 7. Compassion Fatigue, Burnout and Suicide Awareness 8. Professional Development 9. Strategic Planning
Section II: Veterinary Operations 10. Marketing Management 11. Financial Management 12. Client Leadership 13. Appointment Management 14. Medical Records Management 15. Inventory Management 16. Controlled Substance Management 17. Safety in the Veterinary Practice 18. Calculations and Conversions
Heather Prendergast, BS, AS, RVT, CVPM, Certified Practice Manager, Jornada Veterinary Clinic, Las Cruces, New Mexico