Massage Therapy Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Make the essential principles of massage therapy more approachable! Covering massage fundamentals, techniques, and anatomy and physiology, Massage Therapy: Principles and Practice, 6th Edition prepares you for success in class, on exams, and in practice settings. The new edition of this student friendly text includes more than 700 images, expanded information on the latest sanitation protocols, critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter, and updated pathologies which reflect what you will encounter in the field.
- UPDATED pathologies ensure they are current and reflect what you will see in the field as a practitioner.
- UPDATED Research Literacy and evidence-informed practice skills, emphasize how to locate and apply scientific data and the latest research findings in your massage practice.
- Licensing and Certification Practice Exams on Evolve mimics the major high-stakes exams in format and content, builds confidence, and helps increase pass rates.
- Complete anatomy and physiology section, in addition to material on techniques and foundations, you all the information you need in just one book.
- Robust art program enhances your understanding and comprehension of each topic presented through visual representation.
- Case studies challenge you to think critically and apply your understanding to realistic scenarios, foster open-mindedness, cultural competency, and stimulate dialogue.
- Profile boxes provide an inspirational, real-world perspective on massage practice from some of the most respected authorities in massage and bodywork.
- Clinical Massage chapter focuses on massage in therapeutic and palliative settings such as hospitals, chiropractic and physical therapy offices, nursing homes, and hospice care centers to broaden your career potential.
- Business chapter loaded with skills to help make you more marketable and better prepared for today's competitive job market.
- NEW! UPDATED information throughout, including the latest sanitation protocols, ensures the most current, accurate, and applicable content is provided and is appropriate for passing exams and going straight into practice.
- NEW! Critical thinking questions at the end of the chapters help you develop clinical reasoning skills.
- NEW! Maps to FSMTB’s MBLEx exam, the Entry Level Analysis Project (ELAP), and Massage Therapy Body of Knowledge (MTBOK) to illustrate that our content is in line with the core entry-level massage therapy curriculum.
- NEW! Revised Kinesiology images include colored indications of origins and insertions.
Unit I: Foundations for Practice, Basic and Complementary Methods, and Business Practices 1. History of Massage: Prehistoric Times to the Modern Era and Professional Societies, Organizations, and Associations 2. Therapeutic Relationships 3. Tools of the Trade: Massage Tables, Table Accessories, Linens, Lubricant, and the Treatment Room 4. Career Longevity: Self-Care, Burnout Prevention, and the Wellness Model 5. Evidence Informed Practice and Research Literacy 6. Massage Therapy and Research: A Review of the Literature 7. Body Mechanics, Client Positioning, and Draping 8. Massage Techniques, Joint Mobilizations, and Stretches 9. Standard Precautions, Contraindications, and Emergency Preparedness 10. Professional Standards: Scope of Practice, Assessment, Treatment Planning, Informed Consent, Documentation, and Networking with Health Care Providers 11. Special Populations: Massage for Pregnant Women, Infants, Children, Adolescents, Tactical Athletes and the Military, the Elderly, People with Visual, Hearing, and Mobility Impairments, and Those in Hospice Care 12. Hydrotherapy and Spa 13. Foot Reflexology: Theories and Techniques 14. Clinical Massage 15. Seated Massage: Principles and Practice 16. Asian Bodywork Therapy: Shiatsu, Thai Massage, Ayurvedic Principles, and Chakras 17. Business, Marketing, Accounting, and Finance
Unit II: Anatomy and Physiology 18. Introduction to the Human Body: Cells, Tissues, and the Body Compass 19. Skeletal System and Pathologies 20. Muscular System and Pathologies 21. Kinesiology 22. Integumentary System and Pathologies 23. Nervous System 24. Endocrine System and Pathologies 25. Reproductive System and Pathologies 26. Cardiovascular System and Pathologies 27. Lymphatic System and Pathologies 28. Respiratory System and Pathologies 29. Urinary System and Pathologies 30. Urinary System
Susan G. Salvo, D.Ed., LMT, NTS, CI, BCTMB, Co-Owner, Co-Director, and Instructor, Louisiana Institute of Massage Therapy; Veteran Massage Therapist, Lake Charles, Louisiana