Concepts for Nursing Practice Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Learn the core concepts of nursing care and apply them to the clinical setting! Concepts for Nursing Practice, 3rd Edition uses a simplified, intuitive approach to describe 57 important concepts relating to all areas of nursing practice. For easier understanding, this book also makes connections among related concepts and links you to other nursing textbooks. Exemplars for each concept provide useful examples and models, showing how concepts are successfully applied to practice. New to this edition are updated research evidence and a new Population Health concept. Written by conceptual learning expert Jean Giddens, this text will help you build clinical reasoning skills and prepare confidently for almost any clinical nursing situation.
- Authoritative content written by expert contributors and meticulously edited by concept-based learning expert Jean Giddens sets the standard for the rapidly growing concept-based curriculum movement.
- A total of 57 important nursing concepts are clearly defined and analyzed, spanning the areas of patient physiology, patient behavior, and the professional nursing environment.
- Case studies in each chapter make it easier to apply knowledge of nursing concepts to real-world situations.
- UNIQUE! Featured Exemplars sections describe selected exemplars related to each nursing concept, covering the entire lifespan and all clinical settings, and help you assimilate concepts into practice.
- UNIQUE! Logical framework of concepts by units and themes helps you form immediate connections among related concepts --- a key to conceptual learning.
- UNIQUE! Interrelated Concepts illustrations provide visual cues to understanding and help you make connections across concepts.
- NEW! UPDATED content reflects the latest research evidence and national and international practice guidelines.
- NEW! Population Health concept reflects the future of nursing, in which health care organizations learn to deliver care that is high in quality, patient-centered, cost-effective, and evidence-based.
- NEW! Featured Exemplars sections provide a brief explanation of some of the most important exemplars.
- NEW! Discussion questions in case studies reinforce your understanding of each concept.
- NEW! UPDATED exemplar links connect you to concept exemplars in other RN- and LPN/LVN-level Elsevier nursing titles.
UNIT 1: HEALTH CARE RECIPIENT CONCEPTS
Theme: Attributes and Resources
2. Functional Ability
3. Family Dynamics
Theme: Personal Preference
UNIT 2: HEALTH AND ILLNESS CONCEPTS
Theme: Homeostasis and Regulation
8. Fluid and Electrolytes
9. Acid-Base Balance
12. Cellular Regulation
13. Intracranial Regulation
14. Hormonal Regulation
15. Glucose Regulation
19. Gas Exchange
Theme: Sexuality and Reproduction
Theme: Protection and Movement
26. Tissue Integrity
27. Sensory Perception
Theme: Mood and Cognition
30. Stress and Coping
31. Mood and Affect
Theme: Maladaptive Behavior
36. Interpersonal Violence
UNIT 3: PROFESSIONAL NURSING AND HEALTH CARE CONCEPTS
Theme: Nursing Attributes and Roles
37. Professional Identity
38. Clinical Judgment
41. Patient Education
42. Health Promotion
Theme: Care Competencies
46. Technology and Informatics
48. Health Care Quality
Theme: Health Care Delivery
49. Care Coordination
51. Palliative Care
52. Health Disparities
53. Population Health NEW!
Theme: Health Care Infrastructure
54. Health Care Organizations
55. Health Care Economics
56. Health Policy
57. Health Care Law
Jean Foret Giddens, PhD, RN, FAAN, ANEF, Dean and Professor, Doris B. Yingling Endowed Chair, School of Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia