Kinn's The Clinical Medical Assistant – Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 14th Edition
More than any other product on the market, the most successful Medical Assistants begin their careers with Kinn. Trusted for more than 60 years, Kinn's The Medical Assistant: An Applied Learning Approach, 14th Edition teaches you real-world clinical skills essential for a career in the modern medical office- always with a focus on application through unfolding case scenarios, critical thinking questions, procedure videos, and interactive exercises. The reorganized 14th edition features new authors and a chapter reviewing medical terminology and anatomy. With an easy-to-read format and full continuum of separately sold adaptive solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation experience, and HESI remediation and assessment — you’ll learn the leading skills of modern medical assisting to prepare for certification and a successful career in the dynamic and growing Medical Assisting profession.
- Comprehensive coverage of all clinical procedures prepares you for a wide variety of Medical Assisting careers.
- 115 step-by-step illustrated procedures with rationales break down how to perform critical skills for practice.
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in the clinical setting, including case scenarios, critical thinking exercises, procedures videos, and interactive online activities.
- Access to hands-on activities incorporates use of SimChart® for the Medical Office software (sold separately) to prepare you for documentation of clinical encounters.
- Patient education and legal and ethical features help relate content to practical use.
- Key vocabulary terms and definitions are presented at the beginning of each chapter and highlighted in text discussions.
- Summary of Learning Objectives serves as a checkpoint and study tool.
- Robust companion website includes chapter quizzes, certification practice exams, procedure videos, and interactive exercises.
- NEW! Chapter reviews medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology to help you build a solid medical foundation.
- NEW! Artwork focused on the workings of a modern medical office, includes updated illustrations and photographs of procedures and medical records.
- NEW! Expanded and updated sample certification exams help you practice and prepare for certification.
- NEW! Streamlined presentation refines organization and writing for easy comprehension.
- NEW! Patient-centered care is emphasized throughout.
- NEW! Improved test bank includes rationales for correct and incorrect answers, cognitive leveling for questions, and mapping to chapter objectives and exam blueprints.
PART 1 – Introduction to Medical Assisting 1.The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team 2.Health Records 3.Introduction to Anatomy and Medical Terminology PART 2 – Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting 4.Infection Control 5.Vital Signs 6.Physical Examination 7.Patient Coaching 8.Nutrition and Health Promotion 9.Surgical Supplies and Instruments 10.Assisting with Surgical Procedures 11.Principles of Electrocardiography 12.Medical Emergencies PART 3 – Assisting with Medications 13.Principles of Pharmacology 14.Pharmacology Math 15.Administering Medications PART 4 – Assisting with Medical Specialties 16.Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology 17.Dermatology 18.Allergy and Infectious Disease 19.Gastroenterology 20.Orthopedics and Rheumatology 21.Neurology 22.Behavioral Health 23.Endocrinology 24.Cardiology 25.Pulmonology 26.Urology and Male Reproduction 27.Obstetrics and Gynecology 28.Pediatrics 29.Geriatrics PART 5 – Assisting with Clinical Laboratory Procedures 30.Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 31.Urinalysis 32.Blood Collection 33.Analysis of Blood 34.Microbiology and Immunology PART 6 – Job Seeking 35.Skills and Strategies
Deborah B. Proctor, EdD, RN, CMA, Professor and Director, Medical Assisting Program, Butler County Community College, Butler, PA, Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, P. Ann Weaver, MSEd, MT(ASCP), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Martha (Marti) Garrels, MSA, MT(ASCP), CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Consultant
Retired Medical Assisting Program Director
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
Kirkland, Washington and Helen Mills, Helen Mills, RN, MSN, RMA, LXMO, AHI
Medical Assisting Program Coordinator and Advisor
Port St. Lucie, Florida