Small Animal Internal Medicine - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
With hundreds of images, step-by-step procedures, and a practical clinical emphasis, Small Animal Internal Medicine, 6th Edition offers the foundation and tools you need to properly recognize, diagnose, and treat small animals with common internal conditions. Each section of the text takes a problem-oriented approach that begins with a discussion of clinical signs, diagnostic recommendations, and techniques; and then moves to therapeutic considerations and management. This edition also includes two all-new chapters (neonatology and the effects of specific heart diseases respectively) as well as extensive updates throughout covering new advancements, techniques, and evolving best practices in the field of small animal internal medicine. And with access to the new online Expert Consult, you will have the 360-degree support you need to solve virtually any internal medical challenge.
- Problem-oriented approach utilized in each section begins with a discussion of clinical signs, diagnostic recommendations, and techniques; and then moves to therapeutic considerations and management.
- Step-by-step procedures provide an easy-to-follow description of proper technique.
- Current drug and treatment tables ensure you are referencing the most up-to-date recommended dosages and indications.
- More than 900 full-color photographs and illustrations provide vivid depictions of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Color-coded summary tables and boxes make it quick and easy to look up clinical signs, etiology, differential diagnoses, treatment, and recommended drug dosages and indications.
- Expert authors and contributors are well-known for their clinical, academic, and research expertise.
- Practical algorithms promote decision-making skills based on clinical findings.
- Extensive cross-referencing makes it easy to locate related information.
- Suggested readings at the end of each chapter direct you on where to go for the latest research findings.
- NEW! Expert Consult site includes over 30 video clips covering physical examinations as well as diagnostic and therapeutic techniques like the neurologic exam.
- NEW! Two new chapters detail two key emerging areas within small animal medicine: neonatology and the effects of specific heart diseases.
- NEW! Extensive updates throughout the text keep you informed of changes and evolutions in the field, specifically in the areas of: ultrasound; probiotics; obesity; feline radiation therapy; feline diabetes; feline hyperthyroidism; canine influenza; canine Cushing’s disease; orphan puppy and kitten considerations; seizure treatments; spinal cord disorders; hematology and oncology; plus new diseases, diagnostics, and therapeutics that affect small animal medicine overall.
Part One: Cardiovascular System Disorders 1. Clinical Manifestations of Cardiac Disease 2. Diagnostic Tests for the Cardiovascular System 3. Management of Heart Failure 4. Cardiac Arrhythmias and Antiarrhythmic Therapy 5. Congenital Cardiac Disease 6. Acquired Valvular and Endocardial Disease 7. Myocardial Diseases of the Dog 8. Myocardial Diseases of the Cat 9. Pericardial Disease and Cardiac Tumors 10. Pulmonary Hypertension and Heartworm Disease 11. Systemic Arterial Hypertension 12. Thromboembolic Disease
Part Two: Respiratory System Disorders 13. Clinical Manifestations of Nasal Disease 14. Diagnostic Tests for the Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinuses 15. Disorders of the Nasal Cavity 16. Clinical Manifestations of Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Disease 17. Diagnostic Tests for the Larynx and Pharynx 18. Disorders of the Larynx and Pharynx 19. Clinical Manifestations of Lower Respiratory Tract Disorders 20. Diagnostic Tests for the Lower Respiratory Tract 21. Disorders of the Trachea and Bronchi 22. Disorders of the Pulmonary Parenchyma and Vasculature 23. Clinical Manifestations and Diagnostic Tests of Pleural Cavity and Mediastinal Disease24. Disorders of the Pleural Cavity and Mediastinum 25. Emergency Management of Respiratory Distress
Part Three: Digestive System Disorders 26. Clinical Manifestations of Gastrointestinal Disorders 27. Diagnostic Tests for the Alimentary Tract 28. General Therapeutic Principles 29. Disorders of the Oral Cavity, Pharynx and Esophagus 30. Disorders of the Stomach 31. Disorders of the Intestinal Tract 32. Disorders of the Peritoneum
Part Four: Hepatobiliary and Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders 33. Clinical Manifestations of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Disease 34. Diagnostic Tests for the Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic System 35. Hepatobiliary Diseases in the Cat 36. Hepatobiliary Diseases in the Dog 37. The Exocrine Pancreas
Part Five: Urinary Tract Disorders 38. Clinical Manifestations of Urinary Disorders 39. Diagnostic Tests for the Urinary System 40. Glomerular Disease 41. Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease 42. Bacterial Cystitis, Pyelonephritis and Prostatitis in the Dog and Cat 43. Canine and Feline Urolithiasis 44. Obstructive and Nonobstructive Feline Idiopathic Cystitis 45. Disorders of Micturition
Part Six: Endocrine Disorders 46. Disorders of the Hypothalamus and Pituitary Gland 47. Disorders of the Parathyroid Gland 48. Disorders of the Thyroid Gland 49. Disorders of the Endocrine Pancreas 50. Disorders of the Adrenal Gland
Part Seven: Metabolic and Electrolyte Disorders 51. Weight Loss and Obesity 52. Hyperlipidemia 53. Electrolyte Imbalances
Part Eight: Reproductive System Disorders 54. The Practice of Theriogenology 55. Clinical Conditions of the Bitch and Queen 56. Clinical Conditions of the Dog and Tom 57. Neonatology and Pediatrics
Part Nine: Nervous and Neuromuscular Disorders 58. Lesion Localization and the Neurologic Examination 59. Diagnostic Tests for Nervous System and Neuromuscular Disorders 60. Intracranial Disorders 61. Loss of Vision and Pupillary Abnormalities 62. Seizures and Other Paroxysmal Events 63. Head Tilt 64. Encephalitis, Myelitis, and Meningitis 65. Disorders of the Spinal Cord 66. Disorders of Peripheral Nerves and the Neuromuscular Junction 67. Disorders of Muscle
Part Ten: Joint Disorders 68. Clinical Manifestation of and Diagnostic Tests for Joint Disorders 69. Disorders of the Joints Part Eleven: Immune-Mediated Disorders 70. Pathogenesis of Immune-Mediated Disorders 71. Diagnostic Testing for Immune-Mediated Disease 72. Treatment of Primary Immune-Mediated Diseases 73. Common Immune-Mediated Diseases
Part Twelve: Oncology 74. Cytology 75. Principles of Cancer Treatment 76. Practical Chemotherapy 77. Complications of Cancer Chemotherapy 78. Approach to the Patient With a Mass 79. Lymphoma 80. Leukemias 81. Selected Neoplasms in Dogs and Cats
Part Thirteen: Hematology 82. Anemia 83. Clinical Pathology in Greyhounds and Other Sighthounds 84. Erythrocytosis 85. Leukopenia and Leukocytosis 86. Combined Cytopenias and Leukoerythroblastosis 87. Disorders of Hemostasis 88. Lymphadenopathy and Splenomegaly 89. Hyperproteinemia 90. Fever of Undetermined Origin
Part Fourteen: Infectious Diseases 91. Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases 92. Practical Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 93. Prevention of Infectious Diseases 94. Polysystemic Bacterial Diseases 95. Polysystemic Rickettsial Diseases 96. Polysystemic Viral Diseases 97. Polysystemic Mycotic Infections 98. Polysystemic Protozoal Infections 99. Zoonoses
Richard W. Nelson, DVM, Dipl ACVIM, Professor, Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA and C. Guillermo Couto, DVM, Dipl ACVIM, Professor, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chief, Oncology/Hematology Service, Veterinary Teaching Hospital, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH