Krause and Mahan's Food & the Nutrition Care Process, 15th Edition
A trusted classic for over 50 years, Krause and Mahan’s Food & the Nutrition Care Process, 15th Edition presents the most up-to-date dietetics content available in this ever-changing field to ensure students provide optimal nutritional care. It offers cutting-edge, comprehensive coverage of a full range of dietetics topics all in one book. Your students will benefit from in-depth information from clinical specialists that provides practical and evidence-based recommendations related to nutrition assessment and intervention, nutritional needs of individuals in different stages of the life cycle, nutrition for health and fitness, and medical nutrition therapy.
- UNIQUE! Pathophysiology algorithms present the cause, pathophysiology, and medical nutrition management for a variety of disorders and conditions to help you provide optimal nutritional care.
- UPDATED! Inflammation and the Pathophysiology of Chronic Disease chapter offers vital information to help you understand how diet and nutrition affect the body and contribute to disease processes.
- UPDATED! Part III: Nutrition in the Life Cycle section of chapters explains the newest nutrition guidelines from pregnancy through adult years to increase your understanding of the nutritional needs of patients at every age.
- Clinical case studies help you translate academic knowledge into practical patient care using the nutrition care process.
- Nutrition Diagnosis boxes present a problem, its etiology, and its signs and symptoms before concluding with a sample nutrition diagnosis, providing you with real-life scenarios you may encounter in practice.
- Clinical Insight boxes expand on clinical information, highlight new areas of focus, and contain clinical resources for your studies.
- NEW! Food-Nutrient Delivery: Planning the Diet with Cultural Competency chapter provides international nutrition guidelines and resources to assist you with multicultural meal planning.
- NEW! Clinical: Nutritional Genomics chapter features an author from the NIH’s Human Genome Project and introduces you to the latest research about CRISPR and epigenetics.
- NEW! MNT for Neurologic Disorders chapter features two new authors, including a speech therapist, and displays IDDSI guidelines and an appendix for dysphagia diets to help you carefully and consistently address the nutritional needs of these patients.
- NEW! Clinical: Water, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Balance and Clinical: Biochemical, Physical, and Functional Assessment chapters are updated with the most relevant and evidence-based complementary and integrative approaches to expand your expertise in these clinical nutritional areas.
- NEW! MNT for Adverse Reactions to Food: Food Allergies and Intolerance chapter features completely revised guidelines and a new pathophysiology algorithm to ensure you are confident in your knowledge of how to prevent emergencies and what to do when emergencies do happen.
- NEW! Coverage of intermittent fasting, health at every size, and health disparities focuses on the latest nutrition trends to ensure you are well-versed in these topics.
- NEW! The Mediterranean Diet, Choline, and Biotin appendices display at-a-glance information to help you find quickly supplemental information.
- NEW! Directions boxes and Focus On boxes, as well as useful websites, resources, and key terms at the end of each chapter, help you find information quickly and easily.
Part I: Nutrition Assessment
1. Intake: Gastrointestinal Digestion, Absorption, and Excretion of Nutrients
2. Intake: Energy
3. Clinical: Water, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Balance
4. Intake: Assessment of Food and Nutrition-Related History
5. Clinical: Biochemical, Physical, and Functional Assessment
6. Clinical: Nutritional Genomics
7. Inflammation and the Pathophysiology of Chronic Disease
8. Behavioral-Environmental: The Individual in the Community
Part II: Nutrition Diagnosis and Intervention
9. Overview of Nutrition Diagnosis and Intervention
10. Food-Nutrient Delivery: Planning the Diet with Cultural Competency
11. Food-Nutrient Delivery: Bioactive Substances and Integrative Care
12. Food-Nutrient Delivery: Nutrition Support Methods
13. Education and Counseling: Behavioral Change
Part III: Nutrition in the Life Cycle
14. Nutrition in Pregnancy and Lactation
15. Nutrition in Infancy
16. Nutrition in Childhood
17. Nutrition in Adolescence
18. Nutrition in the Adult Years
19. Nutrition in Aging
Part IV: Nutrition for Weight Management
20. Nutrition for Weight Management
21. Nutrition in Eating Disorders
22. Nutrition in Exercise and Sports Performance
23. Nutrition and Bone Health
24. Nutrition for Oral and Dental Health
Part V: Medical Nutrition Therapy
25. MNT for Adverse Reactions to Food: Food Allergies and Intolerance
26. MNT for Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders
27. MNT for Lower Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders
28. MNT for Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Disorders
29. MNT for Diabetes Mellitus and Hypoglycemia of Nondiabetic Origin
30. MNT for Thyroid and Related Disorders
31. MNT for Anemias
32. MNT for Cardiovascular Disease
33. MNT for Pulmonary Disease
34. MNT for Renal Disease
35. MNT for Cancer Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery
36. MNT for HIV and AIDS
37. MNT for Metabolic Stress: Sepsis, Trauma, Burns, and Surgery
38. MNT for Rheumatic Disorders
39. MNT for Neurologic Disorders
40. MNT for Psychiatric Conditions
Part VI: Pediatric Specialties
41. MNT for Low-Birth-Weight Infants
42. MNT for Genetic Metabolic Disorders
43. MNT for Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Appendix 1: Milliequivalents and Milligrams of Electrolytes
Appendix 2: Equivalents, Conversions, and Portion (Scoop) Sizes
Appendix 3: Growth Charts
Appendix 4: Tanner Stages of Adolescent Development for Girls and Boys
Appendix 5: Direct and Indirect Measurements for Height
Appendix 6: Determination of Frame Size
Appendix 7: Adjustment of Desirable Body Weight for Amputees
Appendix 8: Body Mass Index
Appendix 9: Skinfold Measurements
Appendix 10: Physical Activity and Calories Expended per Hour
Appendix 11: Nutrition-Focused Physical Assessment
Appendix 12: Laboratory Values for Nutritional Assessment and Monitoring
Appendix 13: Nutrition Implications of Selected Drugs
Appendix 14: Nutritional Facts on Fluid and Hydration
Appendix 15: Enteral (Tube Feeding) Formulas for Adults Marketed in the USA
Appendix 16: Sample Stepwise Method to Calculate a PN Formula
Appendix 17: DASH Diet
Appendix 18: Exchange Lists and Carbohydrate Counting for Meal Planning
Appendix 19: The Ketogenic Diet
Appendix 20: The International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI)
Appendix 21: Renal Diet for Dialysis
Appendix 22: The Anti-Inflammatory Diet
Appendix 23: The Mediterranean Diet
Appendix 24: Nutritional Facts on Alcoholic Beverages
Appendix 25: Nutritional Facts on Caffeine-Containing Products
Appendix 26: Nutritional Facts on Essential (Omega) Fatty Acids
Appendix 27: Nutritional Facts on a High Fiber Diet
Appendix 28: Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load of Selected Foods
Appendix 29: High Protein
Appendix 30: Vegetarian
Appendix 31: Folate, B6 and B12
Appendix 32: Choline
Appendix 33: Biotin
Appendix 34: Vitamin A
Appendix 35: Vitamin C
Appendix 36: Vitamin E
Appendix 37: Vitamin K
Appendix 38: Vitamin D
Appendix 39: Calcium
Appendix 40: Chromium
Appendix 41: Iodine
Appendix 42: Iron
Appendix 43: Magnesium
Appendix 44: Potassium
Appendix 45: Selenium
Appendix 46: Sodium
Appendix 47: Zinc
Janice L Raymond, MS, RDN, CSG, Clinical Nutrition Director Thomas Cuisine Management at Providence Mount St. Vincent Seattle, Washington Affiliate Faculty Department of Nutrition and Exercise Science Bastyr University Kenmore, Washington and Kelly Morrow, MS, RDN, FAND, Associate Professor Nutrition Clinic Coordinator Department of Nutrition and Exercise Science Bastyr University Kenmore, Washington