Acute Care Handbook for Physical Therapists Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Get all the essential information you need to effectively treat and manage patients in a complex acute care setting with Acute Care Handbook for Physical Therapists, 5th Edition. This easy-to-follow guide is the perfect resource to help any rehabilitation professional better understand and interpret hospital protocol, safety, medical-surgical "lingo," and the many aspects of patient care in the hospital setting — from the emergency department to the intensive care unit to the general ward. And with extensively updated content reflecting the latest evidence-based information, this new fifth edition contains everything you need to succeed in today’s fast-paced acute care environment.
- Evidenced-based information is woven throughout the guide to ensure you are equipped with the proven knowledge needed to manage the acuity of patients in the hospital environment.
- Up-to-date content on medications, laboratory tests, diagnostics, and intervention methods that is relevant to patients in the acute care environment helps you gain insight on how these aspects are affected by the acute care setting.
- Easy-to-read algorithms, tables, boxes, and clinical tips highlight key information and makes finding and understanding information easier.
- NEW! Revised content throughout the text reflects the latest information on the complex and fast-paced acute care setting.
- NEW! Expanded chapters on outcome measures, mechanical circulatory support, and chest pain.
- NEW! Redesigned airway clearance chapter.
- NEW! Reformatted nervous system chapter to enhance clinical integration of content.
- NEW! Enhanced access to information on lines and tubes.
Part 1: Introduction 1. The Acute Care Setting 2. The Medical Record
Part 2: Systems 3. Cardiac System Appendix: Description of ECG Characteristics and Associated Causes Appendix: Common Rhythm Disturbances 4. Pulmonary System 5. Musculoskeletal System 6. Nervous System 7. Vascular System and Hematology 8. Gastrointestinal System 9. Genitourinary System 10. Endocrine System
Part 3: Diagnoses 11. Oncology 12. Integumentary System 13. Infectious Diseases Appendix: Immune System Disorders 14. Organ Transplantation 15. Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances 16. Amputation 17. Physical Therapy Considerations for Patients who Complain of Chest Pain
Part 4: Interventions 18. Medical-Surgical Equipment in the Acute Care Setting Appendix: Mechanical Ventilation Appendix: Circulatory Assist Devices 19. Pharmacologic Agents 20. Anesthesia: Perioperative and Postoperative Considerations 21. Pain Management 22. Airway Clearance 23. Outcome Measures
Appendix: Functional Tests
Jaime C. Paz, PT, DPT, MS, Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Physical Therapy, Walsh University, North Canton, OH; Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, MA and Michele P. West, MS, PT, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA