Study Guide for Today's Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Get unrivaled practice mastering all the concepts and skills necessary for success in today’s fast-paced medical office with the Study Guide for Today’s Medical Assistant. Filled with assignment sheets, pre- and post-tests, vocabulary practice, short-answer review questions, critical thinking activities, competency practice, and evaluations for each chapter, this comprehensive study guide is the perfect hands-on resource to jump-start your medical assisting expertise. The 4th Edition features enhanced coverage of healthcare law, certification, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more, as well as additional procedures to address behavior-based competencies and more EHR practice.
- Expanded application to SimChart for the Medical Office provides more realistic practice with EHRs.
- Consistent and meticulous coverage throughout all elements of the text and its learning package provide reliable content and unparalleled accuracy on the responsibilities of the modern medical assistant.
- Chapter pre-tests and post-tests enable you to easily gauge how much content you have mastered.
- Critical thinking activities encourage you to develop the judgment needed for real-life medical office situations.
- Laboratory assignments at the beginning of each chapter offer a guide on each chapter’s procedures.
- Practice for Competency checklists for each procedure help you practice each of your clinical skills.
- Perforated pages offer on-the-go review and enable easy assignment submission.
- NEW! New content on healthcare trends and laws, certification for Medical Assistants, electronic health records, motivational interviewing, office management, and more ensures that you have the latest information needed to obtain employment and long-term success on the job.
- NEW! Competency evaluation for new procedures addresses affective (behavior-based) MAERB competencies to provide example-driven teaching and learning tools.
SECTION 1: Introduction to Medical Assisting 1. The Health Care System 2. The Professional Medical Assistant 3. Ethics and Law for the Medical Office 4. Interacting with Patients
SECTION 2: Anatomy and Physiology 5. Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 6. Integumentary System 7. Skeletal System 8. Muscular System 9. Nervous System 10. The Senses 11. Endocrine System 12. Circulatory System 13. Respiratory System 14. Digestive System 15. Urinary System 16. Reproductive System
SECTION 3: Clinical Component 17. Medical Asepsis and the OSHA Standard 18. Sterilization and Disinfection 19. Vital Signs 20. The Physical Examination 21. Eye and Ear Assessment and Procedures 22. Physical Agents to Promote Tissue Healing 23. The Gynecologic Examination and Prenatal Care 24. The Pediatric Examination 25. Minor Office Surgery 26. Administration of Medication and Intravenous Therapy 27. Cardiopulmonary Procedures 28. Specialty Examinations and Procedures: Colon Procedures, Male Reproductive Health, and Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging 29. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 30. Urinalysis 31. Phlebotomy 32. Hematology 33. Blood Chemistry and Immunology 34. Medical Microbiology 35. Nutrition 36. Emergency Preparedness and Protective Practices 37. Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
SECTION 4: Administrative Component 38. The Medical Record 39. Patient Reception 40. Medical Office Computerization 41. Telephone Techniques 42. Scheduling Appointments 43. Medical Records Management 44. Written Communications and Mail 45. Managing Practice Finances 46. Medical Coding 47. Medical Insurance 48. Billing and Collections 49. The Medical Assistant as Office Manager 50. Obtaining Employment
Kathy Bonewit-West, BS, MEd, Coordinator and Instructor, Medical Assistant Technology, Hocking College, Nelsonville, OH, Former member, Curriculum Review Board of the American Association of Medical Assistants and Sue Hunt, MA, RN, CMA (AAMA), Former Professor and Coordinator, Medical Assisting Program, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA