deWit's Medical-Surgical Nursing Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Get the solid foundation you need to pass the NCLEX-PN® exam and succeed in practice! deWit’s Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts and Practice, 4th Edition builds on the fundamentals of nursing with complete coverage of adult medical-surgical conditions, including roles, settings, health care trends, and all body systems and their disorders. It provides special attention to care of older adults, those with chronic illnesses, and residents in long-term care settings. Written by nursing educator Holly Stromberg, deWit’s Medical-Surgical Nursing makes exam prep easier with NCLEX-PN® review questions, and reflects national LPN/LVN standards with an emphasis on evidence-based practice and patient safety.
- Safety alerts emphasize safety precautions to protect patients, family, health care providers, and the public from accidents, spread of disease, and medication-related accidents.
- Older Adult Care Points address the unique care issues of gerontologic nursing, and describe assessment and interventions for long-term care patients.
- Nursing care plans show plans of care based on patient history, including patient goals and outcomes, with critical thinking questions allowing you to assess your understanding of nursing care concepts.
- Assignment Considerations cover task delegation from the RN to the LPN/LVN and from the LPN/LVN to unlicensed assistive personnel, as allowed by each state’s nurse practice act.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of each chapter covers key points and includes review questions to help you prepare for class tests and the NCLEX-PN examination.
- Focused Assessment boxes show how to collect patient data, including history, physical, and psychosocial assessment.
- Home Care Considerations focus on adapting medical-surgical nursing care to the home environment after discharge.
- Cultural Considerations promote understanding of various ethnic groups and sensitivity to differing beliefs and practices.
- Communication boxes help in developing therapeutic communication skills in realistic patient care situations.
- Patient Teaching boxes provide instructions and guidelines for educating patients on post-hospital care.
- Legal and Ethical Considerations describe legal issues and ethical dilemmas that may face the practicing nurse.
- Think Critically encourages you to synthesize information and apply concepts to practice.
- Nutrition Considerations emphasize the role nutrition plays in disease and nursing care.
- Medication tables provide quick access to dosages and side effects of commonly used medications.
- Key terms include phonetic pronunciations and text page references, making learning easier with terms listed at the beginning of each chapter, appearing in blue at first mention or where defined in the text, and defined in the glossary.
- NEW! Concepts boxes and concept maps help you visualize how a disorder and its treatment can affect each of the body systems.
- NEW Normal Male and Female Reproductive System Findings chapter includes LGBTQ content, focusing on understanding and nursing care of these individuals.
- NEW! Additional photos and illustrations show new equipment, procedures, and patient care.
Unit I: Medical-Surgical Nursing Settings
1. Caring for Medical-Surgical Patients
2. Critical Thinking and the Nursing Process
Unit II: Medical-Surgical Patient Care Problems
3. Fluid, Electrolytes, Acid-Base Balance, and Intravenous Therapy
4. Care of Preoperative and Intraoperative Surgical Patients
5. Care of Postoperative Surgical Patients
6. Infection Prevention and Control
7. Care of Patients with Pain
8. Care of Patients with Cancer
9. Chronic Illness and Rehabilitation
Unit III: Immune System
10. The Immune and Lymphatic Systems
11. Care of Patients with Immune and Lymphatic Disorders
Unit IV: Respiratory System
12. The Respiratory System
13. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Respiratory System
14. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Respiratory System
Unit V: Hematologic System
15. The Hematologic System
16. Care of Patients with Hematologic Disorders
Unit VI: Cardiovascular System
17. The Cardiovascular System
18. Care of Patients with Hypertension and Peripheral Vascular Disease
19. Care of Patients with Cardiac Disorders
20. Care of Patients with Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiac Surgery
Unit VII: Neurologic System
21. The Neurologic System
22. Care of Patients with Head and Spinal Cord Injuries
23. Care of Patients with Brain Disorders
24. Care of Patients with Peripheral Nerve and Degenerative Neurologic Disorders
Unit VIII: Sensory System
25. The Sensory System: Eye
26. The Sensory System: Ear
Unit IX: Gastrointestinal System
27. The Gastrointestinal System
28. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Upper Gastrointestinal System
29. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Lower Gastrointestinal System
30. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Gallbladder, Liver, and Pancreas
Unit X: Musculoskeletal System
31. The Musculoskeletal System
32. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders
Unit XI: Urinary System
33. The Urinary System
34. Care of Patients with Disorders of the Urinary System
Unit XII: Endocrine System
35. The Endocrine System
36. Care of Patients with Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
37. Care of Patients with Diabetes and Hypoglycemia
Unit XIII: Reproductive System
38. NEW! Normal Male and Female Reproductive System Findings
39. Care of Women with Reproductive Disorders
40. Care of Men with Reproductive Disorders
41. Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit XIV: Integumentary System
42. The Integumentary System
43. Care of Patents with Integumentary Disorders and Burns
Unit XV: Emergency and Disaster Management
44. Care of Patients in Disasters or Bioterrorism Attack
45. Care of Patients with Emergent Conditions, Trauma, and Shock
Unit XVI: Mental Health Nursing of the Adult
46. Care of Patients with Cognitive Function Disorders
47. Care of Patients with Anxiety, Mood, and Eating Disorders
48. Care of Patients with Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
49. Care of Patients with Thought and Personality Disorders
Appendix A: Most Common Laboratory Test Values
Appendix B: Standard Precautions
Appendix C: Standard Steps for All Nursing Procedures