Phlebotomy Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Master practical phlebotomy skills with Phlebotomy: Worktext and Procedures Manual, 5th Edition! Known for its storyboard format of procedures and beautiful illustrations, this hands-on worktext describes all aspects of phlebotomy — with focused and current coverage of lab tests, equipment, safety and collection procedures, emergency situations, special populations, and point-of-care testing. Procedures, outlined with step-by-step instructions and full-color photos, cover core competencies; and a detachable bookmark with color tube guide acts as a handy clinical reference. Learning features focus on clinical scenarios, practice tips, and error prevention and are supplemented by videos and certification exam preparation.
- Right-sized coverage of the full spectrum of phlebotomy practice.
- Step-by-step illustrated procedures on essential phlebotomy competencies and techniques.
- Exam preparation questions in each chapter and three mock certification exams help with classroom and board test review.
- Clinical scenarios and tips focus on application and real-world workplace challenges and solutions.
- Removable bookmark for handy clinical reference to tube color-coding.
- OSHA icons in procedures highlight safe and effective practice.
- Key terms and acronyms listed at the beginning of each chapter, highlighted in text, and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
- Additional online resources – animations, procedure videos, interactive exercises, and an audio glossary.
- NEW! Expanded and updated content on new laboratory tests, emergency procedures, job duties, safety, quality assurance, and more.
- NEW! Animations focusing on anatomy and physiology help ensure comprehension of foundational content.
Unit 1: Introduction to Phlebotomy 1. Introduction to Phlebotomy 2. Health Care Structure 3. Safety 4. Infection Control Unit 2: Phlebotomy Basics 5. Medical Terminology 6. Human Anatomy and Physiology 7. Circulatory, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems Unit 3: Specimen Collection 8. Venipuncture Equipment 9. Routine Venipuncture 10. Capillary Collection 11. Venipuncture Complications 12. Blood Collection in Special Populations 13. Arterial Blood Collection 14. Special Collections and Procedures 15. Special Nonblood Collection Procedures Unit 4: Specimen Handling 16. Specimen Handling, Transport, and Processing 17. Point-of-Care Testing Unit 5: Professional Issues 18. Quality Phlebotomy 19. Legal Issues in Phlebotomy
Appendix A: Metric System Measurements Appendix B: Common English-Spanish Phrases for Phlebotomy Appendix C: Competency Checklists Appendix D: Common Abbreviations Appendix E: Mock Certification Exam Appendix F: Answers to Chapter Questions and Mock Certification Exam Glossary
Robin S. Warekois, BS, MT(ASCP), Pathology Outreach & Client Services, VCU Health Systems, Richmond, VA, Richard Robinson, NASW, Sherborn, MA and Pamela Primrose