Medical-Surgical Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Master the essential medical-surgical nursing content you’ll need for success on the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) and safe clinical practice! Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts for Interprofessional Collaborative Care, 10th Edition uses a conceptual approach to provide adult health knowledge and help you develop the clinical nursing judgment skills that today’s medical-surgical nurses need to deliver safe, effective care. "Iggy" emphasizes three emerging trends in nursing — interprofessional collaborative care, concept-based learning, and clinical judgment and systems thinking — trends that will ground you in how to think like a nurse and how to apply your knowledge in the classroom, simulation laboratory, and clinical settings. A perennial bestseller, "Iggy" also features NCLEX Exam-style Challenge and Mastery questions to prepare you for success on the NGN!
- Consistent use of interprofessional terminology promotes interprofessional collaboration through the use of a common healthcare language, instead of using isolated nursing-specific diagnostic language.
- UNIQUE! Enhanced conceptual approach to learning integrates nursing concepts and exemplars, providing a foundation in professional nursing concepts and health and illness concepts, and showing their application in each chapter.
- Unparalleled emphasis on clinical reasoning and clinical judgment helps you develop these vital skills when applying concepts to clinical situations.
- Emphasis on QSEN and patient safety focuses on safety and evidence-based practice with Nursing Safety Priority boxes, including Drug Alert, Critical Rescue, and Action Alert boxes.
- Direct, easy-to-read writing style features concise sentences and straightforward vocabulary.
- Emphasis on health promotion and community-based care reflects the reality that most adult health care takes place in environments outside of high-acuity (hospital) settings.
- NEW! Strengthened conceptual approach with data-driven Concept and Exemplar selections adds the concepts of pain, inflammation, and infection, and presents Exemplar disorders with a full nursing-process format and extra depth to help prepare you for the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN).
- NEW and UNIQUE! Enhanced focus on clinical judgment and systems thinking ensures alignment with the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Model and emphasizes the six cognitive skills you’ll need for effective clinical judgment, for the NGN, and for safe clinical practice.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Emphasis on NGN preparation includes chapter-opening Learning Outcomes and chapter-ending Get Ready for the NCLEX Examination! sections, plus NCLEX Examination Challenge questions and new chapter-ending Mastery Questions, with an answer key in the back of the book and on the companion Evolve website.
- UNIQUE! Interprofessional collaborative approach to care views medical and nursing management through the lens of the nursing process and the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Model and aligns with the Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice.
- NEW! Emphasis on need-to-know content provides a solid foundation for beginning nurse generalists, including only the most important patient problems for each medical condition, with streamlined chapters and concise coverage of nursing skills for preoperative and postoperative care.
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest national and international evidence-based guidelines and protocols.
- NEW! Improved learning resources on Evolve are thoroughly updated and closely integrated with the textbook.
- NEW! Interprofessional Collaboration boxes highlight how the nurse collaborates with other members of the healthcare team.
- NEW! Ethical/Legal Considerations boxes address dilemmas that medical-surgical nurses face related to technological changes and socioeconomic disparities.
- NEW! Increased emphasis on home care, health promotion, and community-based care reflects the ongoing shift of care from hospitals to the home environment.
- NEW! Updated illustrations include new anatomy and physiology images, procedure images, and disorder photos.
- NEW! Updated drug tables are designed for quick reference and the use of drug trade names is eliminated for better alignment with the NGN.
- NEW! Coverage of opioid use disorder is updated to reflect the opioid crisis in the U.S.
- NEW! Content on personal safety and preparedness for mass casualty events has been expanded to equip you for the realities of healthcare today.
- NEW! Key terms and definitions at the beginning of each chapter give you advance familiarity with essential terminology.
- NEW! Revised Key Points align closely with Learning Outcomes and each includes a QSEN or Clinical Nursing Concept "tag" to maximize your study efficiency.
Section I: Concepts of Medical-Surgical Nursing
1. Overview of Professional Nursing Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
2. From Clinical Judgment to Systems Thinking NEW!
3. Overview of Health Concepts for Medical-Surgical Nursing
4. Common Health Problems of Older Adults
5. Assessment and Concepts of Care for Patients with Pain
6. Concepts of Genetics and Genomics
7. Concepts of Rehabilitation for Chronic and Disabling Health Problems
8. Care of Patients at End-of-Life
9. Care of Perioperative Patients
Section II: Concepts of Emergency Care and Disaster Preparedness
10. Concepts of Emergency and Trauma Nursing
11. Care of Patients with Common Environmental Emergencies
12. Concepts of Disaster Preparedness
Section III: Concepts of Patients with Problems of Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
13. Concepts of Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
14. Concepts of Acid-Base Balance
15. Concepts of Infusion Therapy
Section V: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of Immunity
16. Concepts of Inflammation and Immunity
17. Care of Patients with HIV Disease
18. Care of Patients with Hypersensitivity (Allergy) and Autoimmunity
19. Concepts of Cancer Development
20. Care of Patients with Cancer
21. Care of Patients with Infection
Section VI: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
22. Assessment of the Skin, Hair, and Nails
23. Care of Patients with Skin Problems
Section VII: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Respiratory System
24. Assessment of the Respiratory System
25. Care of Patients Requiring Oxygen Therapy or Tracheostomy
26. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Upper Respiratory Problems
27. Care of Patients with Noninfectious Lower Respiratory Problems
28. Care of Patients with Infectious Respiratory Problems
29. Critical Care of Patients with Respiratory Emergencies
Section VIII: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Cardiovascular System
30. Assessment of the Cardiovascular System
31. Care of Patients with Dysrhythmias
32. Care of Patients with Cardiac Problems
33. Care of Patients with Vascular Problems
34. Critical Care of Patients with Shock
35. Critical Care of Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes
Section IX: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Hematologic System
36. Assessment of the Hematologic System
37. Care of Patients with Hematologic Problems
Section X: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Nervous System
38. Assessment of the Nervous System
39. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Brain
40. Care of Patients with Problems of the Central Nervous System: The Spinal Cord
41. Critical Care of Patients with Neurologic Emergencies
Section XI: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Sensory System
42. Assessment and Concepts of Care for Patients with Eye and Vision Problems
43. Assessment and Concepts of Care for Patients with Ear and Hearing Problems
Section XII: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Musculoskeletal System
44. Assessment of the Musculoskeletal System
45. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Problems
46. Care of Patients with Arthritis and Total Joint Arthroplasty NEW!
47. Care of Patients with Musculoskeletal Trauma
Section XIII: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Gastrointestinal System
48. Assessment of the Gastrointestinal System
49. Care of Patients with Oral Cavity and Esophageal Problems
50. Care of Patients with Stomach Disorders
51. Care of Patients with Noninflammatory Intestinal Disorders
52. Care of Patients with Inflammatory Intestinal Disorders
53. Care of Patients with Liver Problems
54. Care of Patients with Problems of the Biliary System and Pancreas
55. Care of Patients with Malnutrition: Undernutrition and Obesity
Section XIV: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Endocrine System
56. Assessment of the Endocrine System
57. Care of Patients with Pituitary and Adrenal Gland Problems
58. Care of Patients with Problems of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands
59. Care of Patients with Diabetes Mellitus
Section XV: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Renal/Urinary System
60. Assessment of the Renal/Urinary System
61. Care of Patients with Urinary Problems
62. Care of Patients with Kidney Disorders
63. Care of Patients with Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease
Section XVI: Interprofessional Collaboration for Patients with Problems of the Reproductive System
64. Assessment of the Reproductive System
65. Care of Patients with Breast Disorders
66. Care of Patients with Gynecologic Problems
67. Care of Patients with Male Reproductive Problems
68. Care of Transgender Patients
69. Care of Patients with Sexually Transmitted Infections
Answer Key for NCLEX Examination Challenges
Answer Key for Mastery Questions
Donna D. Ignatavicius, MS, RN, CNE, CNEcl, ANEF,FAADN, Speaker and Curriculum Consultant for Academic Nursing Programs; Founder, Boot Camp for Nurse Educators; President, DI Associates, Inc. Littleton, Colorado, M. Linda Workman, PhD, RN, FAAN, Visiting Professor, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, Cherie R. Rebar, PhD, MBA, RN, CNE, CNEcl, COI, FAADN, Subject Matter Expert and Nursing Education Consultant, Beavercreek, Ohio; Professor of Nursing, Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio and Nicole M. Heimgartner, DNP, RN, CNE, CNEcl, COI, Subject Matter Expert and Nursing Education Consultant, Louisville, Kentucky; Adjunct Faculty, American Sentinel University, Aurora, Colorado