Mosby's Textbook for Nursing Assistants - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Known for its comprehensive coverage, readability, and visual presentation, Mosby’s Textbook for Nursing Assistants, 10th Edition helps prepare you to work in long-term care, acute care, and subacute care settings — and includes a practice scenario in each chapter to enhance clinical judgment skills. It is the most comprehensive text for CNA programs, packed with step-by-step instructions for over 100 procedures and perfect for programs that are 80 hours or longer. The lifespan coverage includes skills not only for adults and older residents, but also for maternity and pediatric patients, so you are comfortable in a variety of care settings. New chapter organization allows you to learn in manageable portions and a revitalized art program clarifies important concepts and procedural steps.
- A clear writing style at a 7th grade reading level ensures accessibility for low-level learners.
- Over 100 skills outlined in pre- procedure, procedure, and post-procedure sections ensure you learn all the necessary steps to pass the skills portion of the certification exam.
- Complete coverage of the knowledge and skills needed to pass the state certification exam and engage in safe practice.
- Focus on Practice: Problem Solving provides scenarios that stimulate critical thinking about common situations encountered during practice.
- Focus on Math feature reviews mathematical calculations needed in various care measures and procedures.
- Focus on Surveys feature highlights the nursing assistant’s role during state inspections.
- Getting a Job chapter covers the soft skills needed to seek and obtain employment.
- Focus on PRIDE: The Person, Family, and Yourself boxes build on chapter concepts to help promote pride in the nursing assistant, the resident, and the resident’s family.
- Promoting Safety and Comfort boxes emphasize the importance of the patient’s or resident’s safety and comfort.
- Delegation Guidelines detail the specifics of accepting delegated tasks.
- Focus on Children and Older Person boxes provide age-specific information about special needs, considerations, and circumstances of children and older persons.
- Focus on Long-Term Care and Home Care boxes highlight information vital to providing competent care in the long-term and home care settings.
- Focus on Communication boxes provide guidelines for how to clearly communicate with residents and avoid comments that might make them uncomfortable.
- Caring About Culture boxes contain information to help you learn about the various practices of other cultures.
- Teamwork and Time Management boxes provide specific guidelines to help nursing assistants work most efficiently whether independently or as part of the nursing team.
- Chapter review questions are a useful study guide found at the end of each chapter.
- UPDATED! Shorter, more focused chapters help you retain important concepts and skills covered in the NATCEP certification exam.
- NEW and UPDATED! New chapter organization breaks material into manageable portions, improving your ability to retain important information.
- UPDATED! Enhanced art program illustrates important content and procedures.
1.Health Care Agencies 2.The Person’s Rights 3.The Nursing Assistant 4.Delegation 5.Ethics And Laws 6.Student And Work Ethics 7.Communicating with the Person 8.Health Team Communications 9.Medical Terminology 10.Body Structure And Function 11.Growth And Development 12.The Older Person 13.Safety 14.Preventing Falls 15.Restraint Alternatives And Restraints 16.Preventing Infection 17.NEW! Isolation Precautions 18.Body Mechanics 19.Moving The Person 20.Transferring The Person 21.The Person’s Unit 22.Bedmaking 23.NEW! Oral Hygiene 24.NEW! Daily Hygiene and Bathing 25.Grooming 26.NEW! Dressing And Undressing 27.Urinary Needs 28.Urinary Catheters 29.Bowel Needs 30.NEW! Nutrition Needs 31.NEW! Fluid Needs 32.Nutritional Support And IV Therapy 33.Vital Signs 34.Exercise And Activity 35.Comfort, Rest, And Sleep 36.Admissions, Transfers, And Discharges 37.Assisting With The Physical Examination 38.Collecting And Testing Specimens 39.The Person Having Surgery 40.Wound Care 41.Pressure Injuries 42.Heat And Cold Applications 43.Oxygen Needs 44.Respiratory Support And Therapies 45.Rehabilitation Needs 46.Hearing, Speech, And Vision Problems 47.Cancer, Immune System, And Skin Disorders 48.Nervous System And Musculo-Skeletal Disorders 49.Cardiovascular, Respiratory, And Lymphatic Disorders 50.Digestive And Endocrine Disorders 51.Urinary And Reproductive Disorders 52.Mental Health Disorders 53.Confusion And Dementia 54.Intellectual And Developmental Disabilities 55.Sexuality 56.Caring For Mothers And Babies 57.Assisted Living 58.Emergency Care 59.End-Of-Life Care 60.Getting A Job
Review Question Answers Appendix A: National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP®) Written Examination Content Outline and Skills Evaluation Appendix B: Minimum Data Set – Selected Pages Appendix C: Care Area Assessment (CAA) – Sample Page Appendix D: Infant and Child Safety Appendix E: CPR Skills Testing Checklists Glossary
Sheila A. Sorrentino, PhD, RN, Curriculum and Health Care Consultant, Anthem, AZ and Leighann Remmert, MS, RN, Clinical Instructor, Capital Area School of Practical Nursing, Springfield, IL