Kinn's The Medical Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 14th Edition
More than any other product on the market, the most successful Medical Assistants begin their careers with Kinn. Trusted for more than 60 years, Kinn's The Medical Assistant: An Applied Learning Approach, 14th Edition, teaches you real-world administrative and clinical skills essential for a career in the modern medical office – always with a focus on application through unfolding case scenarios, critical thinking questions, procedure videos, and interactive exercises. The reorganized 14th edition includes expanded content on medical office accounts, collections, banking, and practice management as well as a new chapter reviewing medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology. With an easy-to-read format and a full continuum of separately sold adaptive learning solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation experience, and HESI remediation and assessment — you’ll learn the leading skills to prepare for certification and a successful career in the dynamic and growing Medical Assisting profession!
- Comprehensive coverage of all administrative and clinical procedures prepares you for a wide array of Medical Assisting jobs.
- Nearly 185 step-by-step illustrated procedures with rationales break down how to perform critical skills for practice.
- Applied approach to learning helps you use what you’ve learned in a real-world setting, including case scenarios, critical thinking exercises, procedures videos, and interactive online activities.
- Thorough EHR coverage with access to hands-on activities incorporates use of SimChart® for the Medical Office, software designed to ensure that you are practice-ready (sold separately).
- Robust companion website includes procedures videos, chapter quizzes, and sample certification exams, and interactive exercises.
- Key vocabulary terms and definitions are presented at the beginning of each chapter and highlighted in text discussions.
- Summary of Learning Objectives serves as a checkpoint and study tool.
- Patient education and legal and ethical features help relate content to practical use.
- NEW! Chapter reviews medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology to help you build a solid foundation.
- NEW! Reorganized and expanded content on medical office accounts includes collections, banking, and practice management.
- NEW! Artwork focused on the workings of a modern medical office, includes updated illustrations and photographs of procedures and medical records.
- NEW! Expanded and updated sample certification exams help you practice and prepare for certification.
- NEW! Streamlined presentation refines organization and writing for easy comprehension.
- NEW! Coverage of patient-centered care featured throughout textbook.
PART 1 – Introduction to Medical Assisting 1.The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team 2.Therapeutic Communication 3.Legal Principles 4.Healthcare Laws 5.Healthcare Ethics
PART 2 – Fundamentals of Ambulatory Care Administration 6.Technology 7.Written Communication 8.Telephone Techniques 9.Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing 10.Health Records 11.Daily Operations and Safety
PART 3 –Coding and Medical Billing 12.Health Insurance Essentials 13.Diagnostic Coding Essentials 14.Procedural Coding Essentials 15.Medical Billing and Reimbursement Essentials
PART 4 – Advanced Ambulatory Care Administration 16.Patient Accounts and Practice Management 17.Advanced Roles in Administration
PART 5 – Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting 18.NEW! Introduction to Anatomy and Medical Terminology 19.Infection Control 20.Vital Signs 21.Physical Examination 22.Patient Coaching 23.Nutrition and Health Promotion 24.Surgical Supplies and Instruments 25.Assisting with Surgical Procedures 26.Principles of Electrocardiography 27.Medical Emergencies
PART 6 – Assisting with Medications 28.Principles of Pharmacology 29.Pharmacology Math 30.Administering Medications
PART 7 – Assisting with Medical Specialties 31.Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology 32.Dermatology 33.Allergy and Infectious Disease 34.Gastroenterology 35.Orthopedics and Rheumatology 36.Neurology 37.Behavioral Health 38.Endocrinology 39.Cardiology 40.Pulmonology 41.Urology and Male Reproduction 42.Obstetrics and Gynecology 43.Pediatrics 44.Geriatrics
PART 8 – Assisting with Clinical Laboratory Procedures 45.Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 46.Urinalysis 47.Blood Collection 48.Analysis of Blood 49.Microbiology and Immunology
PART 9 – Job Seeking 50.Skills and Strategies Glossary Index
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin and P. Ann Weaver, MSEd, MT(ASCP), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin