Pharmacology for the Surgical Technologist, 5th Edition
Simplify learning with the trusted pharmacology text designed specifically for surgical technologists! Pharmacology for the Surgical Technologist, 5th Edition prepares your students to work in an operating room by providing an in-depth understanding of surgical medications. It covers everything a surg tech needs to know, including basic pharmacology, dosage calculations, safe handling of medications, terminology, and drug effects and side effects. For students in surgical first assistant courses, many chapters include coverage of advanced practice. Written by a surgical technology educator and a practicing surgical technologist, this book covers all areas of pharmacology that are designated in the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology.
- Coverage of pharmacology meets the needs of the Surgical Technologist and includes all areas designated in the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology, 6th Edition.
- Advanced Practice sections in each chapter provide content relating to the role of the first surgical assistant, helping students who want to advance to that role, and keeps this text useful as a professional reference.
- Concise three-part organization makes it easier for students to understand 1) the foundations of pharmacology, mathematics, and drug administration, 2) applications of pharmacology to the surgical environment, and 3) preoperative medications, types of anesthesia, and emergency situations.
- Caution boxes highlight drug alerts and surgical safety issues.
- Chapter study questions help students measure their knowledge and apply it to practice, and serve as an excellent review tool for classroom and certification exams.
- Insight boxes provide in-depth, cutting-edge information on specific products, procedures, and processes in the operating room.
- Learning features include Tech Tips from experts, Quick Question boxes with quizzes on foundational knowledge, Make It Simple boxes reviewing medical terminology, and Notes simplifying difficult concepts.
- Comprehensive glossary defines key terms highlighted in the text.
- Evolve companion website includes up-to-date drug monographs and additional exercises allowing students to practice math calculations.
- NEW! Coverage of new drugs includes antibiotics frequently used in the operating room.
- NEW! Content map correlates the content in the text to the requisite components of the pharmacology portion of the AST Core Curriculum for Surgical Technology.
- NEW author team blends theory and practice, with easy-to-read explanations from Tiffany Howe, CST, SDFA, FAST, MBA, an instructor of surgical technology, and Angie Burton, CST, FAST, a practitioner of surgical technology.
UNIT I: INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY
1. Basic Pharmacology
2. Medication Development, Regulation, and Resources
3. Pharmacology Mathematics
4. Medication Administration
UNIT II: APPLIED SURGICAL PHARMACOLOGY
6. Diagnostic Agents
9. Medications That Affect Coagulation
10. Ophthalmic Agents
11. Fluids and Irrigation Solutions
12. Antineoplastic Chemotherapy Agents
UNIT III: ANESTHESIA
13. Preoperative Medications
14. Patient Monitoring and Local and Regional Anesthesia
15. General Anesthesia
16. Emergency Situations
Tiffany Howe, CST, CSFA, FAST, MBA, Vice President for Teaching and Learning, Western Dakota Tech, Rapid City, South Dakota. and Angela Burton, CST, FAST, General Clinical Resource, Black Hills Surgical Hospital, Rapid City, South Dakota.