Mosby's Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Success in massage therapy begins with a solid foundation in the fundamentals! Mosby’s Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage, 7th Edition helps you build the skills you need, from assessing problems and planning treatment to mastering massage techniques and protocols. Hundreds of photographs demonstrate massage techniques step by step, and case studies bring concepts to life. ‘How-to’ videos on the Evolve companion website show manipulation techniques, body mechanics, positioning and draping, and more. If you want to prepare for licensing and certification exams and succeed in practice, this resource from massage therapy expert Sandy Fritz is your text of choice.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all of the fundamentals of therapeutic massage, including massage techniques, equipment and supplies, wellness, working with special populations, and business considerations; it also prepares you for success on licensing and certification exams.
- Step-by-step, full-color photographs demonstrate massage techniques and protocols by body area.
- Three hours of video on the Evolve website demonstrate techniques and body mechanics — each clip is narrated and performed by author Sandy Fritz — as well as review activities for licensing exams.
- Proficiency exercises provide opportunities to practice and apply what you are learning.
- Case studies offer practice with clinical reasoning and prepare you to address conditions commonly encountered in professional practice.
- Coverage of body mechanics helps you to create an ergonomically effective massage environment and to determine appropriate pressure, drag, and duration application while applying massage methods.
- Coverage of multiple charting methods helps you develop record-keeping and documentation skills, including SOAP and computer charting with simulation on Evolve.
- Learning features include chapter outlines, objectives, summaries, key terms, practical applications, activities and exercises, and workbook-type practice.
- Review tools include matching exercises, short answer questions, fill-in-the-blank questions, drawing exercises, and critical thinking questions, all available on Evolve.
- Research Literacy and Evidence-Based Practice chapter includes new research findings and explains how research is done, and how to read and understand it.
- Adaptive Massage chapter explains how to address the needs of specific populations, from pregnant women and infants to hospice patients and people with physical impairments.
- Massage Career Tracks and Practice Settings chapter covers massage therapy services offered at spas, and looks at the spa as a possible massage career.
- In-depth coverage of HIPAA shows how to store records in a HIPAA-compliant manner and explains HIPAA requirements and training.
- Foot in the Door boxes outline the professional skills expected by prospective employers.
- Updated Basic Pharmacology for the Massage Therapist appendix provides up-to-date information on common medications.
- NEW! Mock licensing exam is added to the Evolve companion website, and the text now includes review questions at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! Additional content on critical thinking and research helps in building an evidence-informed practice.
- NEW! Increased coverage of human trafficking is designed to raise awareness and prevent the spread of this criminal activity.
- NEW! Updated illustrations in Body Mechanics chapter show how to create an ergonomically effective massage environment.
1. Therapeutic Massage as a Profession
2. Ethics, Professionalism, and Legal Issues
3. Business Considerations for a Career in Therapeutic Massage
4. Massage and Medical Terminology for Professional Record Keeping
5. Research Literacy and Evidence-Based Practice
6. Indications and Contraindications for Therapeutic Massage
7. Hygiene, Sanitation, and Safety
8. Body Mechanics
9. Preparation for Massage: Equipment, Professional Environment, Positioning, and Draping
10. Massage Manipulations and Techniques
11. Assessment Procedures for Developing a Care/Treatment Plan
12. Complementary Bodywork Systems
13. Massage Career Tracks and Practice Settings
14. Adaptive Massage
15. Wellness Education
16. Case Studies
Appendix A: Indications and Contraindications to Massage
Appendix B: Skin Pathology: Common Skin Disorders
Appendix C: Basic Pharmacology for the Massage Therapist
Sandy Fritz, BS, MS, NCTMB, Director, Health Enrichment Center, School of Therapeutic Massage, Lapeer, Michigan, USA
Director and Luke Fritz, LMT, Instructor
Health Enrichment Center
School of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork