Manual Physical Therapy of the Spine - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Introduce your students to manual examination and manipulation techniques for spinal and TMJ disorders! Manual Physical Therapy of the Spine, 3rd Edition provides evidence-based guidelines to manipulation, evaluation, and treatment procedures. A perfect blend of theory and practice, this text uses an impairment-based approach in showing students how to reach an accurate diagnosis and develop an effective plan of care. The text’s photos and drawings — along with some 200 videos — demonstrate examination and manipulation procedures, including therapist hand placement, applied direction of force, and patient positioning. Updated with the latest thinking, this comprehensive resource will help students develop clinical reasoning skills and succeed in practice.
- Approximately 200 video clips teach the skills needed to effectively implement evidence-based treatment recommendations related to manual therapy, manipulation, and therapeutic exercise.
- Descriptions of manual therapy techniques include evidence-based coverage of the examination and treatment of spine and TMJ disorders, along with discussions of alternative treatment methods and potential adverse effects and contraindications to manipulation.
- Guidelines for completing a comprehensive spinal examination include medical screening, the patient interview, disability assessment, and tests and measures, along with an evaluation of the examination findings and the principles involved in arriving at a diagnosis and plan of care.
- Impairment-based manual physical therapy approach includes a review of the evidence to support its use in evaluating and treating spinal and TMJ conditions.
- Full-color photographs show procedures from multiple angles, illustrating hand and body placement and direction of force.
- Case studies demonstrate the clinical reasoning used in manual physical therapy.
- Clear, consistent format for explaining techniques makes this reference easy to use in the classroom and in the clinical setting.
- Guide to Physical Therapist Practice terminology is used throughout the book for consistency and for easier understanding.
- Expert author Ken Olson is a highly respected international authority on the subject of spinal manipulation in physical therapy.
- NEW! Enhanced eBook version is included with print purchase, which allows students to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
- NEW! Expanded content describes the impact of use of language, pain science education, and a psychologically informed approach in the management of complex musculoskeletal pain conditions.
- NEW! Coverage of clinical reasoning includes additional decision making tools relating to the biopsychosocial approach for spinal and temporomandibular conditions in musculoskeletal and manual physical therapy practice.
- NEW! Updated red flag screening content addresses serious spinal pathologies and assessment of central sensitization, pressure pain thresholds, and impaired sleep.
- Updated research evidence supports the examination/classification, diagnostic accuracy, and treatment of spinal and temporomandibular disorders including mobilization/manipulation and specific therapeutic exercises.
- Updated background information and instructional materials make it easier to integrate manipulation and manual physical therapy examination and treatment procedures into professional education and clinical practice.
2. Spinal Examination and Diagnosis in Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapy
3. Manipulation: Theory, Practice, and Education
4. Examination and Treatment of Lumbopelvic Spine Disorders
5. Examination and Treatment of Thoracic Spine Disorders
6. Examination and Treatment of Cervical Spine Disorders
7. Examination and Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders
Kenneth A. Olson, PT, DHSc, OCS, FAAOMPT, Adjunct Faculty, Physical Therapy Program, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Illinois, USA