Ethical Dimensions in the Health Professions - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Teach your students the skills they need to understand and resolve ethical problems! Ethical Dimensions in the Health Professions, 7th Edition provides a solid foundation in ethical theory and concepts, applying these principles to the ethical issues surrounding health care today. It uses a unique, six-step decision-making process as a framework for thinking critically and thoughtfully, with case studies of patients to illustrate ethical topics such as conflicts of interest, patient confidentiality, and upholding best practices. Designed for students in all health professions, this text will help students learn to make caring and effective ethical choices that improve patient care and outcomes.
- UNIQUE! Ethical decision-making process provides an organizing framework to use in making the best decisions when faced with ethical problems.
- Patient stories depict real-life situations and demonstrate the ethical decision-making process.
- Reflection boxes depict important concepts and stimulate critical thinking.
- Summary boxes highlight the most important information in each section.
- Coverage of interprofessional team decision-making reflects this important, expanding movement in healthcare nationally and internationally.
- Questions for thought and discussion encourage students to apply the ethical decision-making process to different situations.
- NEW! Updated content throughout the book reflects the changes in the growing interprofessional movement.
- NEW! Expanded content on clinician well-being includes tools for supporting moral resilience and preventing burnout in health professionals.
- NEW! Updated content addresses the topics of social justice, health disparities, intersectionality, and health outcomes.
- NEW! Updated national standards and regulations are provided for electronic health communications, data protections, and clinical research.
- NEW! Coverage of scientific literature is expanded with studies on the effects of compassion on patient outcomes, patient safety, and provider and organizational well-being.
- NEW! Coverage of ethical issues impacting healthcare and society includes topics such as medical scarcity due to healthcare supply chain shortages and extreme weather events due to climate change.
Section 1: Introduction to Ethical Dimensions in the Health Professions
1. Morality and Ethics: What They Are and Why They Matter
2. The Ethical Goal of Professional Practice: A Caring Response
3. Prototypes of Ethical Problems
4. Ethics Theories and Approaches: Conceptual Tools for Ethical Reasoning
5. The Six-Step Process of Ethical Decision Making
Section 2: Ethical Dimensions of Professional Roles
6. Ethical Life as a Health Professional: Integrity, Resilience and Courage
7. Shared Moral Community: Ethical Decision Making in Interprofessional Teams
8. Living Ethically Within Healthcare Organizations
Section 3: Ethical Dimensions of the Professional-Patient Relationship
9. Honoring Confidentiality
10. Communication and Shared Decision Making
11. Informed Consent in Care Delivery, Research, and Health Information Management
Section 4: Ethical Dimensions of Chronic and End-of-Life Care
12. Ethical Issues in Chronic Care and Disability
13. Ethical Issues in End-of-Life Care
Section 5: Ethical Dimensions of the Social Context of Healthcare
14. Distributive Justice: Rights, Resource Allocation, and Policy Considerations
15. Compensatory and Social Justice: Societal Sources of Claims for Healthcare
16. Professionals as Good Citizens: Responsibility and Opportunity
Regina F. Doherty, OTD, OTR/L, FAOTA, FNAP, Professor and Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Boston, MA