Mosby’s® Pocket Guide to Fetal Monitoring - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Find real-world, clinically useful information on all aspects of electronic fetal monitoring! Written by clinicians for clinicians, Mosby’s Pocket Guide to Fetal Monitoring: A Multidisciplinary Approach, 9th Edition provides an evidence-based, collaborative approach to fetal heart monitoring during labor and in the antepartum period. It covers the physiologic basis for FHR monitoring, methods and instrumentation, standardized terminology, pattern recognition and interpretation, and management of care. Authored by a nurse-midwife, a perinatologist, and a nurse, this compact guide prepares you for success on the EFM certification exam and for success in today’s clinical practice.
- Pocket-sized format makes this guide ideal to carry and use in the clinical setting, and a colorful design makes information easier to find.
- Coverage of fetal heart rate assessment, evaluation, interpretation, and management is supported by evidence-based practice and literature, helping you prioritize care and make clinical decisions.
- Patient safety and risk management strategies include case studies and legal commentary, plus guidelines for providing safe and competent care.
- Information on the relationship between fetal heart rate patterns and neonatal outcomes provides a guide to the correct use of fetal monitoring.
- Illustrations, tables, and fetal monitor tracings highlight critical information.
- Coverage of innovative practices supports patient safety and improved outcomes through the use of a common language for fetal heart rate patterns, a standardized approach to interpretation, a discussion of emergency preparedness, and a discussion of human factor issues such as improved communication, situational awareness, no-fault/just culture, and teamwork.
- Practical appendices offer a guide to FHR tracings and interpretation as well as self-assessment questions for credentialing and certification exam preparation.
- Expert author team provides clinical insight along with international presence.
- NEW information on Category II tracing management is included.
- NEW! Expanded section on common misconceptions and myths includes evidence supporting factual EFM characteristics.
- NEW! Detailed information on documentation and legal issues is added.
- NEW EFM tracings with interpretation are added.
1. A Brief History of Fetal Monitoring
2. Physiologic Basis for Electronic Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
3. Methods and Instrumentation
4. Uterine Activity Evaluation and Management
5. Pattern Recognition and Interpretation
6. Intrapartum Management of the Fetal Heart Rate Tracing
7. Influence of Gestational Age on Fetal Heart Rate
8. Fetal Assessment in Non-Obstetric Settings
9. Antepartum Fetal Assessment
10. Patient Safety, Risk Management, and Documentation
11. Obstetric Models and Electronic Fetal Monitoring in Europe
Appendix A: Amnioinfusion
Appendix B: Instructions for Reviewing Appendix B FHR Tracings
Appendix C: Self-Assessment
Lisa A. Miller, CNM, JD, President, Perinatal Risk Management & Education Services, David Miller, Associate Professor and Rebecca L. Cypher