Review of Hemodialysis for Nurses and Dialysis Personnel- Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Get complete dialysis coverage and an excellent review for the certification exam! Review of Hemodialysis for Nurses and Dialysis Personnel, 10th Edition uses a concise Q&A format to cover the principles, diseases, and problems of dialysis treatment for kidney failure. A new chapter on case management of the patient with chronic kidney disease keeps you current with the latest in dialysis treatment and equipment. Dialysis expert Judy Kallenbach provides clear, easy-to-read guidelines that will apply to every member of the dialysis team, from technicians and nurses to social workers and patients.
- Comprehensive coverage provides the knowledge needed to care for dialysis patients and to prepare for the certification exam, with topics including a review of body fluids and electrolytes, infection control, transplantation, and key psychosocial aspects of dialysis treatment.
- Question-and-answer format makes learning easier and makes the book suitable for independent study.
- Multidisciplinary approach includes a chapter on the different roles in the hemodialysis team, describing how dialysis care is coordinated and what patients go through during their treatment.
- Easy-to-understand style introduces new terms and concepts without assuming prior knowledge of dialysis.
- Home Dialysis Therapies chapter describes the use of home dialysis treatment as a possible cost-cutting measure.
- Useful appendixes offer a quick reference to the sodium and potassium content of various foods, nephrology organizations and resources, a list of dialysis lab tests, a glossary, and more.
- Coverage of the entire lifespan helps you care for patients of different ages, with separate chapters on pediatric dialysis and end-stage renal disease in the elderly.
- 70 illustrations depict all aspects of dialysis treatment and care.
- NEW Case Management of the Chronic Kidney Disease Patient chapter is added.
- EXPANDED Patient Education Guidelines chapter adds coverage of motivational interviewing.
- EXPANDED Psychosocial Aspects of Dialysis Therapy chapter adds information on patient care.
- UPDATED content includes new guidelines and information on medication.
1. The Hemodialysis Team
2. History of Dialysis
3. Basic Chemistry of Body Fluids and Electrolytes
4. Kidney Physiology and the Pathology of Kidney Failure
5. Clinical Manifestations of Chronic Kidney Disease
6. Dialyzers, Dialysate, and Delivery Systems
7. Principles of Hemodialysis
8. Water Treatment
9. Dialyzer Preparation and Reprocessing
10. Infection Control
11. Anticoagulation and Heparin Administration
12. Access to the Bloodstream
13. Patient and Machine Monitoring and Assessment
14. Nutrition Management
15. Laboratory Data: Analysis and Interpretation
16. Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease
17. Medication Problems and Dialysis
18. Acute Kidney Injury and Dialysis
19. Peritoneal Dialysis and Home Dialysis Therapies
21. Pediatric Dialysis
22. Chronic Kidney Disease in the Elderly
23. Case Management of the Chronic Kidney Disease Patient NEW!
24. Psychosocial Aspects of Dialysis Therapy
25. Patient Education Guidelines
26. Management of Quality in Dialysis Care
27. On Being a Preceptor
28. Basic Math Calculations
29. Test-Taking Guidelines
A: Nephrology Organizations and Resources
B: High-Potassium Foods to Limit or Avoid
C: High-Sodium Foods to Limit or Avoid
D: High-Phosphorus Foods to Limit or Avoid
E: Dialysis Lab Tests at a Glance
Judith Z. Kallenbach, MSN, RN, CNN, Area Director of Inservice/Program Administrator, Fresenius Medical Care, Akron, OH