Nursing Today - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Ensure you thoroughly understand the most important issues you’ll face when entering practice! Loved for its humor, readability, and inviting cartoons, Nursing Today: Transitions and Trends, 10th Edition helps you to prepare for the NCLEX-RN® — while giving you valuable information to succeed throughout your career. It reflects current issues and trending topics that nurses will face, ensuring that you not only graduate with patient care skills, but also with career development skills such as resume writing, finding a job, and effective interviewing. The 10th Edition features major content updates on Workplace Issues, Nursing Informatics, Cultural and Spiritual Awareness and Ethical Issues, and evidence-based practice boxes throughout to help you focus on the research evidence that supports clinical practice. Additionally, it includes test-taking tips for the NCLEX-RN® Examination and updated Evolve Resources for students with new review questions and case studies.
- An emphasis on transitioning into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN® and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, Mentorship and Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs.
- Thorough coverage of all the most important issues faced by the new nurse, preparing you for a professional career.
- An engaging approach features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- Critical Thinking boxes in every chapter offer questions and exercises asking you to apply what they have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes, and evidence-based practice content throughout, focus your attention on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- QSEN competencies related to effective communication, team building, evidence-based practice, patient safety, and quality assurance highlighted throughout.
- NEW! Personal Management chapter revised and expanded to include information about mindfulness and tips for practicing mindfulness.
- UPDATED! NCLEX®-RN information reflects the 2019 Exam with information on the enhanced nurse licensure (eNLC) compact and the next generation NCLEX-RN project.
- UPDATED! Nursing Education chapter includes information about current trends in academic progression with a focus on concurrent enrollment programs.
- NEW! Conflict Management chapter includes expanded content about sexual harassment, in the workplace setting.
- NEW! Expanded Workplace Issues chapter has been expanded on the subjects of bullying and incivility and safe patient handling.
- NEW! Nursing Informatics chapter greatly expanded to include emerging information and communication technologies (patient engagement, robotics, and artificial intelligence) used in healthcare.
- UPDATED! Cultural and Spiritual Awareness chapter includes strategies for building cultural and linguistic competency skills and practicing cultural sensitivity in the workplace setting.
- NEW! Expanded Ethical Issues chapter includes content on involuntary commitment and professional boundaries as current issues impacting nursing.
Unit I: Professional Growth and Transition 1. Role Transitions 2. Personal Management: Time and Self-Care Strategies 3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs 4. Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes and Interviewing 5. NCLEX-RN Exam and the New Graduate
Unit II: Nursing: A Developing Profession 6. Historical Perspectives 7. Nursing Education 8. Nursing Theories 9. Professional Image of Nursing
Unit III: Nursing Management 10. Challenges of Nursing Management and Leadership 11. Building Nursing Management Skills 12. Effective Communication, Team Building, and Interprofessional Practice 13. Conflict Management 14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
Unit IV: Current Issues in Health Care 15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery 16. Economics in the Health Care Delivery System 17. Political Action in Nursing 18. Collective Bargaining: Traditional (Union) and Nontraditional Approaches 19. Ethical Issues 20. Legal Issues
Unit V: Contemporary Nursing Practice 21. Cultural & Spiritual Awareness 22. Quality Patient Care 23. Nursing Informatics 24. Using Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research 25. Workplace Issues 26. Emergency Preparedness
JoAnn Zerwekh, EdD, RN, President/CEO, Nursing Education Consultants, Chandler, AZ; Nursing Faculty - Online Campus, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ and Ashley Garneau, PhD, RN, Nursing Faculty, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, Arizona