Modern Dental Assisting - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 13th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Easily master all aspects of dental assisting with the most up-to-date and most trusted text available. For more than 40 years, students and practitioners alike have relied on Modern Dental Assisting for its cutting-edge content, easy-to-grasp writing style, step-by-step procedures, and top-notch visuals. And the new 13th edition is no exception. With updated content — including the latest technological advancements, clinical photographs, and new coverage on cultural diversity and how it relates to patient care — this new edition will guide you from your first day of class all the way to your first job in dental assisting.
- UNIQUE! Trusted expert authors Doni Bird and Debbie Robinson present information and procedures in a way that makes it easy for students to understand and apply the material.
- Comprehensive, cutting-edge content is presented in approachable writing style.
- Step-by-step procedures for general and expanded functions use color coding and clinical photos to demonstrate key dental assisting competencies.
- 70 procedural videos include questions and answers correlated to the chapter procedures with closed-captioning in English and Spanish and audio narration in English.
- UNIQUE! Interactive Dental Office program provides in-depth case studies integrated with periodontal charting, radiographic mounting, and more.
- Dentrix practice management software on Evolve enables students to work with patient data much like they will in the office environment.
- Recall and Critical Thinking questions in each chapter provide opportunities for practice and application.
- Feature boxes on infection control and CDC practice, patient education, and law and ethics summarize recommendations and key applications in practice.
- Key terminology list helps students better comprehend the chapter and how the information applies to dentistry practice.
- Learning and performance outcomes set goals for what students will accomplish and serve as checkpoints for comprehension and skills mastery.
- NEW! Information on cultural diversity grounds students in this important topic and how it relates to patient care and patient communication.
- UPDATED! art program provides vivid original renderings of dental anatomy tooth morphology and dental imaging, along with improved photos of the latest products, equipment, and instruments.
- NEW! Coverage of the latest advances in general and specialty dental care covers technological advancements, public health and access to care, teledentistry, infection control guidelines, the Zika virus, Ebola, the oral-systemic health connection, and more.
- NEW! Updated critical thinking and recall questions challenge students and provide recollection skills.
PART 1: The Dental Assisting Profession 1. History of Dentistry 2. The Professional Dental Assistant 3. The Dental Healthcare Team 4. Dental Ethics 5. Dentistry and the Law
PART 2: Sciences in Dentistry 6. General Anatomy 7. General Physiology 8. Oral Embryology and Histology 9. Head and Neck Anatomy 10. Landmarks of the Face and Oral Cavity 11. Overview of the Dentitions 12. Tooth Morphology
PART 3: Oral Health and Prevention of Dental Disease 13. Dental Caries 14. Periodontal Disease 15. Preventive Dentistry 16. Nutrition 17. Oral Pathology
PART 4: Infection Prevention in Dentistry 18. Microbiology 19. Disease Transmission and Infection Prevention 20. Principles and Techniques of Disinfection 21. Principles and Techniques of Instrument Processing and Sterilization PART 5: Occupational Health and Safety 22 Regulatory and Advisory Agencies 23. Chemical and Waste Management 24. Dental Unit Waterlines 25. Ergonomics
PART 6: Patient Information and Assessment 26. The Patient's Dental Record 27. Vital Signs 28. Oral Diagnosis and Treatment Planning 29. The Special Needs and Medically Compromised Patient 30. Principles of Pharmacology 31. Assisting in a Medical Emergency
PART 7: Foundation of Clinical Dentistry 32. The Dental Office 33. Delivering Dental Care 34. Dental Hand Instruments 35. Dental Handpieces and Accessories 36. Moisture Control 37. Anesthesia and Pain Control
PART 8: Radiographic Imaging 38. Foundations of Radiography, Radiographic Equipment, and Radiologic Safety 39. Dental Imaging, Dental Film, and Processing Radiographs 40. Legal Issues, Quality Assurance, and Infection Prevention 41. Intraoral Imaging 42. Extraoral Imaging
PART 9: Dental Materials 43. Restorative and Esthetic Dental Materials 44. Dental Liners, Bases, and Bonding Systems 45. Dental Cements 46. Impression Materials and Techniques 47. Laboratory Materials and Procedures
PART 10: Assisting in Comprehensive Dental Care 48. General Dentistry 49. Matrix Systems for Restorative Dentistry 50. Fixed Prosthodontics 51. Provisional Coverage 52. Removable Prosthodontics 53. Dental Implants 54. Endodontics 55. Periodontics 56. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 57. Pediatric Dentistry 58. Coronal Polishing 59. Dental Sealants 60. Orthodontics
PART 11: Dental Administration and Communication Skills 61. Communication in the Dental Office 62. Business Operating Systems 63. Financial Management in the Dental Office 64. Marketing Your Skills
Doni L. Bird, CDA, RDA, RDH, MA, Former Director, Dental Education Programs, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, California; Former Director, Dental Assisting Program University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico and Debbie S. Robinson, CDA, MS, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Nutrition, Gilling’s School of Global Public Health; Former Research Assistant, and Project Coordinator, UNC-CH Adams School of Dentistry; Former Director, Dental Assisting and Dental Assisting Specialty Program, UNC-CH Adams, School of Dentistry