Nursing Today - Binder Ready, 9th Edition
Binder-Ready Edition: This loose-leaf copy of the full text is a convenient, accessible, and customizable alternative to the bound book. With this binder-ready edition, you can personalize the text to match your unique needs!
Loved for its humor, readability, and inviting cartoons, Nursing Today: Transitions and Trends, 9th Edition helps students prepare for the NCLEX-RN® Examination — while giving them valuable information to succeed in their professional careers. It reflects current issues and trending topics that nurses will face, ensuring that students graduate not only with patient care skills, but also with career development skills such as resume writing, finding a job, and effective interviewing. This edition features updated Evolve resources, including PowerPoint slides and TEACH for Nurses for instructors as well as review questions and test-taking tips for students.
- Thorough coverage of all the most important issues faced by the new nurse, preparing you for a professional career.
- An engaging approach features lively cartoons, chapter objectives, bibliographies, and colorful summary boxes.
- An emphasis on making the transition into the workplace is included in chapters such as NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate, Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes, and Interviewing, and Mentorship and Preceptorship.
- Critical Thinking boxes in every chapter offer questions and exercises asking you to apply what you have learned to clinical practice.
- Evidence-Based Practice boxes, and evidence-based practice content throughout, focus your attention on the research evidence that supports clinical practice.
- Content on the role of nursing includes changes related to the BSN in 10 campaign and how these might affect entry into practice, as well as differentiated nursing practice models.
- Mentoring and preceptorship content discusses preceptorships as a capstone course versus a formalized preceptorship or nurse externship in which a student is employed by a healthcare facility, as well as the advantages of and tips for getting a nurse externship while in nursing school.
- NEW and UPDATED! Thoroughly updated content throughout with new information on areas such as: 2016 NCLEX test plan and pass/fail determinates by level of difficulty, interprofessional education, serious reportable events and never events, and nursing responsibilities in spiritual care.
- UPDATED! New content on leadership and followership features professional models of nursing practice like medical or health homes and nurse-managed health centers.
- EXPANDED! Added QSEN competencies related to effective communication, team building, evidence-based practice, patient safety, and quality assurance highlighted throughout.
- UPDATED and IMPROVED! Section restructuring makes this edition even easier to follow.
- UPDATED! Evolve resources for students include review questions and case studies.
Unit I: Professional Growth and Transition 1. Reality Shock 2. Personal Management: Time and Self-care Strategies 3. Mentorship, Preceptorship, and Nurse Residency Programs 4. Employment Considerations: Opportunities, Resumes and Interviewing 5. NCLEX-RN and the New Graduate
Unit II: Nursing: A Developing Profession 6. Historical Perspectives 7. Nursing Education 8. Nursing Theories 9. Professional Image of Nursing
Unit III: Nursing Management 10. Nursing Management & Leadership 11. Building Nursing Management Skills 12. Effective Communication & Team Building 13. Conflict Management 14. Delegation in the Clinical Setting
Unit IV: Current Issues in Health Care 15. The Health Care Organization and Patterns of Nursing Care Delivery 16. Economics in the Health Care Delivery System 17. Political Action in Nursing 18. Collective Bargaining 19. Ethical Issues 20. Legal Issues
Unit V: Contemporary Nursing Practice 21. Cultural & Spiritual Awareness 22. Quality Patient Care 23. Nursing Informatics 24. Using Evidence-Based Practice and Nursing Research 25. Work Place Issues 26. Emergency Preparedness
Appendix A: Boards of Nursing Appendix B: National Nursing Organizations Appendix C: American Nurses Association and Constituent Member Associations Appendix D: Canadian Nursing Associations
JoAnn Zerwekh, EdD, RN, President/CEO, Nursing Education Consultants, Chandler, AZ; Nursing Faculty - Online Campus, University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ and Ashley Zerwekh Garneau, PhD, RN, Nursing Faculty, GateWay Community College, Phoenix, Arizona