Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Prepare for the Next-Generation NCLEX-RN® Exam (NGN) and gain the clinical judgment skills you need to manage patient care safely and effectively! Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment: Practice Exercises for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 5th Edition is the first and the most popular NCLEX-RN Exam review book focused exclusively on building management-of-care clinical judgment skills. What’s more, this bestselling review is now enhanced for the NGN with new NGN-style questions! Beginning with concepts relating to prioritization, delegation, and assignment decisions, the workbook guides you through patient care scenarios and exercises progressing from simple to complex. All of the book’s questions are provided in an interactive online format on the Evolve website in tests that simulate the latest NCLEX-RN Exam. Written by a team of noted educators led by Linda A. LaCharity, this review prepares you for success on the NGN and in clinical practice like no other!
- Management-of-care focus addresses the emphasis on prioritization, delegation, and patient assignment in the NCLEX-RN® Examination.
- Three-part organization first establishes foundational knowledge and then provides exercises with scenarios of increasing difficulty to help you build confidence in your prioritization, delegation, and patient assignment skills.
- Part One: Introduction provides a concise foundation and practical guidelines for making prioritization, delegation, and patient assignment decisions.
- Part Two: Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment in Common Health Scenarios provides practice in applying the principles you’ve learned to relatively straightforward health scenarios involving single patients or simple patient assignments.
- Part 3: Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment in Complex Health Scenarios includes unfolding cases involving patients with progressively more complicated health problems or challenging assignment issues, demonstrating the progression of typical health scenarios and helping you learn to "think like a nurse."
- Answer keys follow each chapter and provide the correct answer plus a detailed rationale.
- Practice quizzes on the Evolve website include all of the book’s questions in an interactive format that allows you to create a virtually unlimited number of practice sessions or tests in Study Mode or Exam Mode.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Updated question formats prepare you to succeed on the Next-Generation NCLEX-RN® Examination (NGN) by including the latest item types and highlighting each with a distinctive icon.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Next-Generation NCLEX Questions chapter includes only NGN-style questions to help you focus your study time on these new question formats and optimize your chances for success on the NGN.
- NEW! Dozens of additional questions and answers provide more review and practice for the increasingly challenging NCLEX-RN Exam.
- NEW! Updated content throughout matches the latest evidence-based guidelines and treatment protocols.
PART ONE: INTRODUCTION
Guidelines for Prioritization, Delegation, and Assignment Decisions
PART TWO: PRIORITIZATION, DELEGATION, AND ASSIGNMENT IN COMMON HEALTH SCENARIOS
3. Immunologic Problems
4. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance Problems
5. Safety and Infection Control
6. Respiratory Problems
7. Cardiovascular Problems
8. Hematologic Problems
9. Neurologic Problems
10. Visual and Auditory Problems
11. Musculoskeletal Problems
12. Gastrointestinal and Nutritional Problems
13. Diabetes Mellitus
14. Other Endocrine Problems
15. Integumentary Problems
16. Renal and Urinary Problems
17. Reproductive Problems
18. Problems in Pregnancy and Childbearing
19. Pediatric Problems
21. Emergencies and Disasters
22. Psychiatric-Mental Health Problems
23. Next-Generation NCLEX® Questions NEW!
PART THREE: PRIORITIZATION, DELEGATION, AND ASSIGNMENT IN COMPLEX HEALTH SCENARIOS
Case Study 1 - Chest Pressure, Indigestion, and Nausea
Case Study 2 - Dyspnea and Shortness of Breath
Case Study 3 - Multiple Clients on a Medical-Surgical Unit
Case Study 4 - Shortness of Breath, Edema, and Decreased Urine Output
Case Study 5 - Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Case Study 6 - Home Health
Case Study 7 - Spinal Cord Injury
Case Study 8 - Multiple Patients With Adrenal Gland Disorders
Case Study 9 - Multiple Clients With Gastrointestinal Problems
Case Study 10 - Multiple Patients With Pain
Case Study 11- Multiple Clients With Cancer
Case Study 12 - Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Case Study 13 - Head and Leg Trauma and Shock
Case Study 14 - Septic Shock
Case Study 15 - Heart Failure
Case Study 16 - Multiple Patients With Peripheral Vascular Disease
Case Study 17 - Respiratory Difficulty After Surgery
Case Study 18 - Long-Term Care
Case Study 19 - Pediatric Clients in Clinic and Acute Care Setting
Case Study 20 - Multiple Patients With Mental Health Disorders
Case Study 21 - Childbearing
Linda A. LaCharity, PhD, RN, Formerly, Accelerated Program Director and Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, Candice K. Kumagai, MSN, RN, Formerly, Instructor in Clinical Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas and Barbara Bartz, MN, ARNP, CCRN, Nursing Instructor, Yakima Valley Community College, Yakima, Washington