Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist, 5th Edition
Build the skills you need to provide effective community oral health care! Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist, 5th Edition describes the role of the public health professional in improving the oral health care of people throughout the community. It discusses key topics such as access to care, the assessment needed for program planning, social responsibility and government policy, cultural diversity, and career options in public health. Written by respected dental educator Christine French Beatty, this book helps you prepare for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE) and to develop the core competencies needed in the practice setting.
- Comprehensive, cutting-edge coverage provides everything you need to know to succeed in community dental hygiene practice.
- Practice-oriented content includes learning objectives in each chapter, opening statements with lists of key facts, mini-scenarios, and Dental Hygiene Competencies.
- Applying Your Knowledge sections in each chapter provide opportunities to apply what you have learned to local public health problems.
- Chapters on assessment and measurement help in planning and evaluating community oral health programs.
- Test-Taking Strategies and Community Cases chapter offers tips and practice questions to help you prepare for the NBDHE, and tests your understanding of content in relation to real-world community situations.
- Chapters on population health and oral health programs describe issues affecting access to care as well as common oral diseases and conditions affecting the community, helping you prioritize, plan, implement, and evaluate practical solutions.
- Learning resources on an Evolve companion website reinforce your understanding with quizzes and case studies.
- NEW! Comprehensive, cutting-edge content is updated on topics including national initiatives, Healthy People 2030, data on the status of oral health and factors that affect access to oral healthcare, cultural competence, oral health programs in the community, applied research, and the different career paths for dental hygienists.
- EXPANDED! Coverage of dental hygiene competencies and interprofessional collaborative practice is enhanced to reflect changes in the oral health profession.
- UPDATED! Community Case sections in each chapter include sample cases along with test questions.
- F EXPANDED! Additional photographs and illustrations depict key concepts.
1. People’s Health: An Introduction
2. Careers in Public Health for the Dental Hygienist
3. Assessment for Community Oral Health Program Planning
4. Measuring Oral Health Status and Progress
5. Population Health
6. Oral Health Programs in the Community
8. Health Promotion and Health Communication
9. Social Responsibility
10. Cultural Competence
11. Service-Learning: Preparing Dental Hygienists for Collaborative Practice
12. Test-Taking Strategies and Community Cases
Appendix A: Additional Websites for Community Resources
Appendix B: Dental Hygiene Competencies
Appendix C: Community Partnerships for Oral Health
Appendix D: Resources for Community Health
Appendix E: Selected Oral Conditions and Factors Influencing Oral Health that Can Be Assessed in Oral Health
Appendix F: Common Dental Indexes
Christine French Beatty