Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Get the proven guidance you need to succeed in both nursing school and professional LPN/LVN practice with Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing, From Student to Leader, 9th Edition. Focusing on must-have leadership and problem-solving skills, this unique, market-leading text covers the soft skills that are essential for success in nursing school, in the job market, and in professional practice. Topics build on each other in a logical manner, beginning with tools you’ll need for success in class, continuing to the skills needed in LPN/LVN practice, and culminating in the higher-level roles and responsibilities of the LPN/LVN as a leader. The newest feature box on empowerment introduces you to the concepts of self-reflection, self-growth, and power to enhance your student experience and accomplish positive outcomes in nursing school and in practice. Additionally, like in previous editions, Critical Thinking and Try This! boxes are incorporated throughout this ninth edition to challenge you in thinking outside of the box to solve personal, academic, and professional situations. There are also practice review questions at the end of each chapter help you prepare for the NCLEX-PN® examination and chapters on Workforce Trends and Nurse State Practice Acts to help you easily move from the academic to the practice setting. With all its proven guidance and insight, this text is must-have for any LPN/LVN student wanting to find success in today’s demanding healthcare environment.
- Collaborative Care boxes introduce you to management tools and leadership activities.
- Critical Thinking boxes provide critical thinking and problem-solving opportunities throughout the chapter to enhance your understanding.
- Try This! boxes cover activities related to topics discussed in the text that can be utilized in simulation or role-play scenarios in class.
- Professional Pointers boxes give advice on nursing best practices in the professional arena during and after nursing school.
- Chapter on community resources covers tools and resources that you can find within your community to help you with learning, personal, and family needs that could interfere with success in school.
- Storytelling narratives at the beginning of each chapter use true stories to enhance your learning and demonstrate the relevancy of key topics.
- Test-taking and interview preparation tips focus on preparing you to take the NCLEX-PN Examination and provide information on applications, interviews, and the job search — including electronic resumes.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN® Examination section at the end of the text contains key points, critical thinking scenarios, additional learning resources, and review questions for the NCLEX-PN Examination — including alternate format items in every chapter.
- Full-color design and visuals makes this text visually appealing and easy to read.
- Numbered objectives open each chapter and provide a framework for content.
- Key points at the end of each chapter summarize chapter highlights and serve as an excellent review tool.
- Key terms with phonetic pronunciations are at the beginning of each chapter and in full color at first mention in the text to assist you in improving and supplementing your terminology and language skills before entering clinical practice.
- References are arranged by chapter at the end of the book to give you resources for further understanding of text concepts.
- NEW! Empowerment feature boxes introduce tools to help you affect positive outcomes in class, clinicals, and professional practice.
- NEW! Updated content on delegation prepares you for immediate leadership positions upon graduation.
Unit I: Resources 1 Personal Resources of an Adult Learner 2 Academic Resources (Study Skills and Test Strategies) 3 Community Resources
Unit II: Building Blocks for Your Career 4 How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved: 1836 to Present 5 Critical Thinking: A Lifelong Journey 6 Ethics Applied to Nursing: Personal versus Professional Ethics 7 Nursing and the Law: What are the Rules?
Unit III: Relationship-Centered Care 8 Effective Communication: Health Care Team, Patients, Faculty, and Peers 9 Assertiveness: Your Responsibility 10 Cultural Uniqueness, Sensitivity, and Competence 11 Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
Unit IV: Health System-Based Care 12 Nursing Process: Your Role 13 Nursing Theory, Research, and Evidence-Based Practice 14 The Interdisciplinary Health Care Team: The Role of the Practical/Vocational Nurse 15 Health Care Settings: Continuum of Care 16 The Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
Unit V: The LPN/LVN: Your Role Today and in the Future 17 Collaboration: Leading and Managing 18 Work Force Trends: How to Find a First Job You Will Love 19 Licensure and Regulation: Becoming Licensed and Understanding Your State Nurse Practice Act
Appendix A Answer Key for Review Questions for the National Council Licensure Examination for Licensed Practical/Licensed Vocational Nurses (NCLEX-PN®) References Glossary
Patricia Knecht, PhD, MSN, RN, ANEF, Patty Knecht, PhD, MSN, RN, ANEF
Director, Practical Nursing Program
Chester County Intermediate Unit