Phillips' Science of Dental Materials, 13th Edition
Give your students a solid foundation in the evolving technology of dental materials! Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials, 13th Edition provides comprehensive, up-to-date information on the materials used in cosmetic and restorative procedures in dentistry. It introduces the physical and chemical properties that are related to selection and use of dental biomaterials, including their composition, mechanical properties, manipulative variables, and the performance of dental restorations and prostheses. This edition adds three new chapters and hundreds of new full-color photographs. With this leading text/reference, students will learn to select the right dental materials and ensure high-quality restorations.
- 500 full-color photos and illustrations show concepts, dental instruments, and restorations.
- Key terms are defined at the beginning of each chapter, covering terminology related to dental biomaterials and science.
- Critical thinking questions stimulate thinking and emphasize important concepts and principles.
- Logical, five-part organization of chapters makes the content easier to read and understand, with units on General Classes and Properties of Dental Materials, Direct Restorative Materials, Indirect Restorative Materials, Fabrication of Prostheses, and Assessing Dental Restorations.
- Balance between materials science and manipulation bridges the gap of knowledge between dentists and lab technicians.
- Major emphasis on biocompatibility serves as a useful guide to the principles and clinical implications of restorative materials safety.
- Diverse and respected pool of contributors lends credibility and experience to each dental science topic.
- NEW! Three new chapters are added: Digital Technology in Dentistry, In Vitro Research of Dental Materials, and Clinical Research of Restorations.
PART I: GENERAL CLASSES AND PROPERTIES OF DENTAL MATERIALS
1. Overview of Preventive and Restorative Materials
2. Structure of Matter, General Classes of Materials and Principles of Adhesion
3. Chemical and Physical Properties of Solids
4. Mechanical Properties of Solids
PART II: DIRECT RESTORATIVE MATERIALS
5. Resin-Based Composites
6. Bonding Mechanism and Bonding Agents
8. Dental Amalgams
PART III: INDIRECT RESTORATIVE MATERIALS
10. Ceramic-Based Materials
11. Prosthetic Polymers and Resins
12. Dental Implants
PART IV: FABRICATION OF PROSTHESES
13. Auxiliary Materials
14. Casting Investments and Casting Procedures
15. Digital Technology in Dentistry NEW!
16. Finishing and Polishing Prostheses
PART V: ASSESSING DENTAL RESTORATIONS
18. In Vitro Research of Dental Materials NEW!
19. Clinical Research of Restorations NEW!
20. Emerging Technologies
Chiayi Shen, H. Ralph Rawls and Josephine F. Esquivel-Upshaw