Ebersole and Hess' Gerontological Nursing & Healthy Aging - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 6th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Gain the nursing skills you need to provide wellness-based care for older adults! Ebersole and Hess' Gerontological Nursing & Healthy Aging, 6th Edition uses a holistic approach to describe compassionate care along a continuum of wellness. Designed to promote healthy aging regardless of the patient’s situation or disorder, this text provides best-practice guidelines in covering physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and cognitive health. New to this edition are Next Generation NCLEX®-style case studies, updates on measuring clinical judgment, expanded coverage of core competencies, and more. Written by gerontological nursing experts Theris Touhy and Kathleen Jett, this concise text provides a solid foundation in every aspect of healthy aging.
- Focus on health and wellness provides the evidence-based information and strategies needed to promote healthy aging.
- Key concepts, learning activities, and discussion questions in every chapter emphasize the information needed to enhance care.
- Recommended competencies from the AACN and the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing are integrated throughout.
- Discussion of disease processes is placed in the context of healthy adaptation, nursing support, and responsibilities.
- Easy-to-use information on nursing techniques and communication appears with the associated disorders, symptoms, and situations.
- Tips for Best Practice and Resources for Best Practice boxes provide insight into proven methods of nursing care.
- Discussions of nursing and interprofessional actions help students learn to enhance wellness, maintain optimal function, and prevent unnecessary disability.
- Coverage of age, cultural, racial, and gender differences highlights these important considerations in caring for older adults.
- NEW! Updates reflect the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Model.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN)-style case studies provide optimal preparation for the Next Generation NCLEX Examination.
- NEW! Specialized information addresses the unique needs of older adults such as atypical disease presentation, geriatric syndromes, neurocognitive disorders, quality of life with chronic illness, legal and ethical issues, and mental health challenges such as depression and substance abuse.
- NEW! Coverage of competencies of expanding nursing roles in the care of older adults addresses the continuum of care.
- NEW! Gerontological expertise is incorporated into nursing actions and complements other nursing texts (including med-surg, community health, mental health, and assessment books) used in programs without a freestanding gerontological nursing course.
- NEW! Expanded content includes information on COPD guidelines, medication use and misuse, Alzheimer’s Disease, wound care guidelines, diagnosis and treatment of sleep-disordered breathing, joint replacement, caregiver strain, hospice and transitional care, and more.
SECTION 1: Foundations of Healthy Aging
1. Gerontological Nursing and Healthy Aging
2. Introduction to Healthy Aging
3. Making Clinical Judgments in the Cross-Cultural Setting with Older Adults
4. Biological Theories and Age-Related Cues
5. Clinical Judgment to Promote Psychosocial, Spiritual, and Cognitive Health
SECTION 2: Foundations of Gerontological Nursing
6. Gerontological Nursing Across the Continuum of Care
7. Economic and Legal Issues Affecting Clinical Judgment
SECTION 3: Fundamentals of Caring
8. Recognizing and Analyzing Cues in Gerontological Nursing
9. Clinical Judgment to Promote Safe Medication Use
10. Clinical Judgment to Promote Nutritional Health
11. Clinical Judgment to Promote Hydration and Oral Health
12. Clinical Judgment to Promote Bowel and Bladder Health
13. Clinical Judgment to Promote Healthy Rest, Sleep, and Activity Patterns
14. Clinical Judgment to Promote to Promote Healthy Skin
15. Clinical Judgment to Promote Reduce Fall Risk and Injuries
16. Clinical Judgment to Promote Safe Environments
SECTION 4: Promoting Health in Chronic Illness
17. Living with Chronic Illness
18. Clinical Judgment to Promote Relief from Pain
19. Clinical Judgment to Enhance Hearing and Vision
20. Metabolic Disorders
21. Bone and Joint Problems
22. Cardiovascular and Respiratory Disorders
23. Neurological Disorders
24. Clinical Judgment to Promote Mental Health
SECTION 5: Caring for Elders and Their Caregivers
25. Clinical Judgment in Care of Individuals with Neurocognitive Disorders
26. Clinical Judgment to Promote Healthy Relationships, Roles, and Transitions
27. Clinical Judgment to Promote Caregiver Health
28. Loss, Death, and Palliative Care
Theris A. Touhy, DNP, CNS, DPNAP, Emeritus Professor, Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida and Kathleen F Jett, PhD, GNP-BC, DPNAP, Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, Oak Hammock at the University of Florida, Department of Aging and Geriatrics, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida; Research Consultant, College of Nursing, University of Florida, Gainesville Florida