Buck's Step-by-Step Medical Coding, 2021 Edition
Help your students take the first step toward a successful career in medical coding with guidance from the most trusted name in coding education! The bestselling Buck’s Step-by-Step Medical Coding is a practical, easy-to-use resource that shows you exactly how to code using all current coding sets. To reinforce your understanding, practice exercises follow the explanations of each coding concept. In addition to coverage of reimbursement, ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and inpatient coding, an Evolve website includes 30-day access to TruCode® Encoder Essentials. No other text so thoroughly covers all coding sets!
- Theory and practical review questions (located at the end of each chapter) focus on recalling important chapter information and application of codes.
- A step-by-step approach makes it easier for students to build coding skills and remember the material.
- Learning objective and glossary review questions reinforce student understanding of key chapter concepts and terms.
- 30-day trial to TruCode® Encoder Essentials gives students experience with using an encoder (plus access to additional encoder practice exercises on the Evolve website).
- UNIQUE! "Real-life" coding reports (cleared of any confidential information) simulate the reports students will encounter as coders, and help them apply coding principles to actual cases.
- Online activities on Evolve provide extra practice with assignments, including coding reports.
- More than 450 illustrations help in understanding the types of medical conditions and procedures being coded, and include examples taken directly from Elsevier's professional ICD-10 and HCPCS manuals.
- UNIQUE! Four coding-question variations — covering both single-code questions and multiple-code questions and scenarios — develop students’ coding ability and critical thinking skills.
- UNIQUE! Coders’ Index in the back of the book makes it easy to quickly locate specific codes.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting boxes show the official guidelines wording for inpatient and outpatient coding alongside in-text explanations.
- Exercises, Quick Checks, and Toolbox features reinforce coding rules and concepts, and emphasize key information.
- Valuable tips and advice are offered in features such as From the Trenches, Coding Shots, Stop!, Caution!, Check This Out, and CMS Rules.
- Sample EHR screenshots (in Appendix D) show examples similar to the electronic health records students will encounter in the workplace.
- NEW! Coding updates include the latest information available, promoting accurate coding and success on the job.
- NEW! Coverage of CPT E/M Guidelines changes for Office and Other Outpatient codes.
Unit 1: Reimbursement 1. Reimbursement, HIPAA, and Compliance Unit 2: ICD-10-CM 2. An Overview of ICD-10-CM 3. ICD-10-CM Outpatient Coding and Reporting Guidelines 4. Using ICD-10-CM 5. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 1-10) 6. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 11-14) 7. Chapter-Specific Guidelines (ICD-10-CM Chapters 15-21) Unit 3: CPT and HCPCS 8. Introduction to CPT 9. Introduction to the Level II National Codes (HCPCS) 10. Modifiers 11. Evaluation and Management (E/M) Services 12. Anesthesia 13. Surgery Guidelines and General Surgery 14. Integumentary System 15. Musculoskeletal System 16. Respiratory System 17. Cardiovascular System 18. Hemic, Lymphatic, Mediastinum, and Diaphragm 19. Digestive System 20. Urinary and Male Genital Systems 21. Reproductive, Intersex Surgery, Female Genital System, Maternity Care and Delivery 22. Endocrine and Nervous Systems 23. Eye, Ocular Adnexa, Auditory, and Operating Microscope 24. Radiology 25. Pathology/Laboratory 26. Medicine Unit 4: Inpatient Coding 27. Inpatient Coding Appendix A: Online Resources Appendix B: Exercise, Quick Check, and Toolbox Answers Appendix C: Learning Objective and Glossary Review Answers Appendix D: EHR Screens Glossary