Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Learn the safe use of local anesthesia with the only book written specifically for dental hygienists! Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist, 3rd Edition provides a complete guide to pharmacology and anesthetic techniques, helping you learn procedures before you work with actual patients. Detailed drawings show dental anatomy and full-color photos illustrate specific injection techniques; case studies let you apply your knowledge to clinical practice. The Evolve website includes procedure videos and prepares you for success on board exams with practice questions and a mock licensure exam. Writing in a warm, humanistic style, dental hygiene educator Demetra Logothetis will allay any fears you may have in working with local and topical anesthetics.
- Clear, approachable writing style makes it easier to learn proper techniques and gain confidence, acknowledging not only the patient’s fear of injection but also the fears of the inexperienced clinician.
- More than 400 full-color photographs and illustrations show techniques, procedures, and instruments.
- Procedures boxes provide illustrated, step-by-step instructions for performing specific procedures, including indications, contraindications, nerves and teeth affected, operator and patient positioning, insertion point, penetration, amount of anesthetic, and working time.
- Case studies make it easier to apply concepts to the clinical setting and to develop problem-solving skills.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide the opportunity to assess your understanding, and the Evolve website provides chapter practice quizzes and a 55-question mock examination.
- Dental Hygiene Considerations boxes summarize key points and tips for optimal care.
- Expert author Demetra Logothetis is an educator with more than 20 years of experience teaching local anesthesia administration for dental hygienists.
- Key terms are highlighted within the text and defined in the glossary.
- NEW! Updated information is provided on local anesthesia guidelines.
- NEW! Videos of 15 local anesthesia procedures on the Evolve website demonstrate how to perform procedures.
- NEW! Updated clinical photos are added to show examples of both proper and improper technique.
- NEW! Updated case studies, procedure boxes, and multiple-choice review questions allow you to measure your progress.
PART 1: INTRODUCTION TO PAIN CONTROL
1. Local Anesthesia in Dental Hygiene Practice: An Introduction
PART 2: LOCAL AND TOPICAL ANESTHETIC AGENTS
3. Pharmacology of Local Anesthetic Agents
4. Pharmacology of Vasocontrictors
5. Local Anesthetic Agents
6. Topical Anesthetic Agents
PART 3: PATIENT ASSESSMENT
7. Preanesthetic Assessment
8. Determining Drug Doses
PART 4: PAIN CONTROL TECHNIQUES
9. Armamentarium/Syringe Preparation
10. Anatomic Considerations for Local Anesthesia Administration
11. Basic Injection Techniques
12. Maxillary Anesthesia
13. Mandibular Anesthesia
14. Local Anesthesia for the Child and Adolescent
15. Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Administration
PART 5: COMPLICATIONS, LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS, AND RISK MANAGEMENT
16. Local Complications
17. Systemic Complications and Emergency Management
18. Risk Management and Exposure Prevention
Demetra D. Logothetis, RDH, MS