Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Choose the only text on local anesthesia designed specifically for dental hygienists! Local Anesthesia for the Dental Hygienist, 3rd Edition provides a complete guide to pharmacology and anesthetic techniques, helping students learn procedures before they work with actual patients. Detailed drawings show dental anatomy and full-color photos illustrate specific injection techniques. Case studies let students apply their knowledge to clinical practice, and the Evolve website includes procedure videos and board-exam preparation with practice questions and a mock licensure exam. Written in a warm, humanistic style, this text will allay any fears your students may have in working with local and topical anesthetics.
- Clear, approachable writing style makes it easier to learn proper techniques and gain confidence, acknowledging not only the patient’s fear of injection but also the fears of the inexperienced clinician.
- More than 400 full-color photographs and illustrations show techniques, procedures, and instruments.
- Procedures boxes provide illustrated, step-by-step instructions for performing specific procedures, including indications, contraindications, nerves and teeth affected, operator and patient positioning, insertion point, penetration, amount of anesthetic, and working time.
- Case studies make it easier to apply concepts to the clinical setting and to develop problem-solving skills.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter provide the opportunity to assess your understanding, and the Evolve website provides chapter practice quizzes and a 55-question mock examination.
- Dental Hygiene Considerations boxes summarize key points and tips for optimal care.
- Expert author Demetra Logothetis is an educator with more than 20 years of experience teaching local anesthesia administration for dental hygienists.
- Key terms are highlighted within the text and defined in the glossary.
- NEW! Updated information is provided on local anesthesia guidelines.
- NEW! Videos of 15 local anesthesia procedures on the Evolve website demonstrate how to perform procedures.
- NEW! Updated clinical photos are added to show examples of both proper and improper technique.
- NEW! Updated case studies, procedure boxes, and multiple-choice review questions allow you to measure your progress.
PART 1: INTRODUCTION TO PAIN CONTROL
1. Local Anesthesia in Dental Hygiene Practice: An Introduction
PART 2: LOCAL AND TOPICAL ANESTHETIC AGENTS
3. Pharmacology of Local Anesthetic Agents
4. Pharmacology of Vasocontrictors
5. Local Anesthetic Agents
6. Topical Anesthetic Agents
PART 3: PATIENT ASSESSMENT
7. Preanesthetic Assessment
8. Determining Drug Doses
PART 4: PAIN CONTROL TECHNIQUES
9. Armamentarium/Syringe Preparation
10. Anatomic Considerations for Local Anesthesia Administration
11. Basic Injection Techniques
12. Maxillary Anesthesia
13. Mandibular Anesthesia
14. Local Anesthesia for the Child and Adolescent
15. Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen Administration
PART 5: COMPLICATIONS, LEGAL CONSIDERATIONS, AND RISK MANAGEMENT
16. Local Complications
17. Systemic Complications and Emergency Management
18. Risk Management and Exposure Prevention
Demetra D. Logothetis, RDH, MS