Gerontology Digital Clinical Experiences
Shadow Health’s Digital Clinical Experiences™ for Gerontology provide you with a safe, convenient, and dynamic environment to practice your documentation, communication, and clinical reasoning skills. An innovative conversation engine enables you to become more efficient in your patient interactions while maintaining high-quality therapeutic communication and care planning. These meaningful interactions with geriatric patients help you gain valuable experience in practical application, patient communication, and personal empathy, empowering you to improve patient outcomes and prepare to enter clinical practice. You will encounter patients with confusion, osteoarthritis, UTI, infection, DVT, falls, end-of-life, health deviations, and geriatric syndromes.
- Digital Standardized Patients™ vary in age, race, socioeconomic status, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and have health histories and diseases/disorders that support students’ mastery of nursing principles in a wide spectrum of medical situations.
- Natural language conversation engine allows students to engage in open-ended conversations with simulated patients to gather subjective data and practice patient-centered communication.
- Student Performance Index provides instructors and students with immediate, detailed feedback on six key components of clinical reasoning — subjective data collection, objective data collection, therapeutic communication, documentation, information processing, and self-reflection — to identify areas of strength and opportunities for remediation.
- Interview and Assessment activities allow students to demonstrate their clinical reasoning abilities by performing a health assessment on virtual patients to collect objective data and report their findings in the electronic health record.
- Care Plan exercises enable students to use assessment data to work through the steps of the ADPIE process and select appropriate care actions from a standard set of components.
- SBAR activities in many assignments give students the opportunity to practice interprofessional communication with their Preceptor, a physician, or other health care professionals appropriate to the simulation.
- Concept Labs dive deeper into specific body systems through rich visuals and animations that challenge students to identify normal and abnormal findings and strengthen their understanding with dynamic comprehension checks.
- Gerontology assignments cover topics such as pain, mobility, infection, cognition, and end of life.
- Geriatric patient conditions include confusion, osteoarthritis, UTI, infection, DVT, falls, end-of-life, health deviations, and geriatric syndromes, and students will have access to assessment techniques for older adult patients, PHQ-2, ADLs, IADLs, and medication lists.