Study Guide and Procedure Checklist Manual for Kinn's The Medical Assistant - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource, 14th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Designed to support the trusted content in Kinn’s The Medical Assistant, 14th Edition, this study guide is the essential review and practice companion to reinforce key concepts, encourage critical thinking, and ensure that you learn to master and apply key medical assisting content. This robust companion guide offers a wide range of exercises to reinforce your understanding of common administrative and clinical skills — including new certification preparation questions that offer additional practice for certification exams, a review of medical terminology and anatomy, and need-to-know workplace applications. Trusted for more than 60 years as a key part of the student journey from classroom to career, it also features competency checklists to clearly assess your performance and progression from day one until you land your first job as a Medical Assistant.
- Comprehensive coverage of all administrative and clinical procedures is built from Medical Assisting accreditation standards and competencies.
- Hundreds of practice questions (multiple-choice, true/false, fill-in-the-blank) help students with essential content review and practice.
- Skills practice, workplace applications, and online activities promote critical thinking before students enter practice.
- Procedure checklists help students track their performance of every procedure included in the textbook.
- Work products allows students to provide documentation of skills mastery for classroom or job-searching requirements.
- Chapter-by-chapter correlation with the textbook allows students to easily follow core textbook competencies.
- Perforated pages for on-the-go study or turn-in assignments and evaluations.
- NEW! Chapter reviews medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and pathology to reinforce key foundational knowledge.
- NEW! Expanded content on medical office accounts, collections, banking, and practice management prepares students to step into the role of a Medical Assistant.
- NEW! Certification Preparation questions help students focus on certification from the beginning of their studies.
- NEW! Streamlined presentation combines chapters and focuses on need-to-know content.
PART 1 – Introduction to Medical Assisting 1. The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team 2. Therapeutic Communication 3. Legal Principles 4. Healthcare Laws 5. Healthcare Ethics
PART 2 – Fundamentals of Ambulatory Care Administration 6. Technology 7. Written Communication 8. Telephone Techniques 9. Scheduling Appointments and Patient Processing 10. Health Records 11. Daily Operations and Safety
PART 3 –Coding and Medical Billing 12. Health Insurance Essentials 13. Diagnostic Coding Essentials 14. Procedural Coding Essentials 15. Medical Billing and Reimbursement Essentials
PART 4 – Advanced Ambulatory Care Administration 16. Patient Accounts and Practice Management 17. Advanced Roles in Administration
PART 5 – Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting 18. NEW! Introduction to Anatomy and Medical Terminology 19. Infection Control 20. Vital Signs 21. Physical Examination 22. Patient Coaching 23. Nutrition and Health Promotion 24. Surgical Supplies and Instruments 25. Assisting with Surgical Procedures 26. Principles of Electrocardiography 27. Medical Emergencies
PART 6 – Assisting with Medications 28. Principles of Pharmacology 29. Pharmacology Math 30. Administering Medications
PART 7 – Assisting with Medical Specialties 31. Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology 32. Dermatology 33. Allergy and Infectious Disease 34. Gastroenterology 35. Orthopedics and Rheumatology 36. Neurology 37. Behavioral Health 38. Endocrinology 39. Cardiology 40. Pulmonology 41. Urology and Male Reproduction 42. Obstetrics and Gynecology 43. Pediatrics 44. Geriatrics
PART 8 – Assisting with Clinical Laboratory Procedures 45. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory 46. Urinalysis 47. Blood Collection 48. Analysis of Blood 49. Microbiology and Immunology
PART 9 – Job Seeking 50. Skills and Strategies
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, MSN, RN, RMA, Medical Assisting Program Director and Instructor
Chippewa Valley Technical College
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin and P. Ann Weaver, MSEd, MT(ASCP), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin