Ethics and Law in Dental Hygiene, 4th Edition
Learn professional, practical ways to handle ethical and legal issues in dental practice! Ethics and Law in Dental Hygiene, 4th Edition provides a solid foundation in ethical theory and laws relating to oral healthcare professionals, including ethical conduct and social responsibility. An ethical decision-making model helps you unpack and analyze ethical dilemmas, and case scenarios challenge you to apply concepts to the real world. Written by a team of experts led by educator Kristin Minihan-Anderson, this book helps Dental Hygiene students prepare for the NBDHE exam and also serves as an valuable reference for practitioners looking to continue their professional growth.
- Dental hygiene-focused coverage highlights need-to-know concepts and information on ethics and law.
- Logical organization of content includes separate sections on ethics, law, and simulations and applications of both, building a solid foundation for practical application.
- Concepts with real-world relevance make it easier to apply your knowledge to everyday situations.
- Six-step decision-making model provides a framework with which to tackle ethical situations.
- Chapters on legal concepts include information on risk management and state dental practice legislation.
- Key terms are defined in each chapter and in the glossary.
- Key vocabulary helps you understand complex content.
- NEW! Updated illustrations visually support key content.
- NEW! Updated case studies include realistic scenarios, helping students explore a wide range of situations and practice making sound ethical and legal decisions.
- NEW! Updated testlets use short clinical scenarios to help students develop skills in critical thinking and problem solving, and prepare for the case-based component of the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination (NBDHE).
Section I: Ethics
1. Risk Management
2. Ethics and Professionalism
3. Ethical Theory and Philosophy
4. Ethical Principles and Values
5. Codes of Ethics
6. Ethical Decision Making in Dental Hygiene and Dentistry
7. Social Responsibility
Section II: Law
8. Society and the State Dental Practice Act
9. Dental Hygienist–Patient Relationship
10. Dental Hygienist–Dentist-Employer Relationship
Section III: Simulations and Applications
Case Studies, Activities, and Testlets
CASES FOR STUDY AND DISCUSSION
ANSWERS TO TESTLET QUESTIONS
Appendix A: American Dental Association Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct
Bibliography and Suggested Readings
Kristin Minihan-Anderson, RDH, MSDH, Assistant Professor
Public Health Coordinator
Fones School of Dental Hygiene
University of Bridgeport