Nursing Theorists and Their Work Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Find the thinking of 39 leading nursing theorists in one comprehensive text! Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 10th Edition provides a clear, in-depth look at nursing theories of historical and international significance. Each chapter presents a key nursing theory or philosophy, showing how systematic theoretical evidence can enhance decision making, professionalism, and quality of care. A classic in the field of nursing theory, Alligood’s text uses objective critiques, case studies, and critical thinking activities to bridge the gap between nursing theory and application.
- Scholars specializing in the work of a specific nursing theorist write each theorist chapter, often having worked closely with the theorists, to provide the most accurate and complete information.
- Case studies at the end of each theorist chapter put the theory into a larger perspective, demonstrating how it can be applied to practice.
- Critical thinking activities at the end of each theorist chapter help you understand the theory presented and apply it to personal and hypothetical situations.
- Diagrams and graphics help you to visualize and better understand abstract concepts and theories.
- History of nursing theory development includes its significance to the discipline and practice of the nursing profession.
- Brief summary sections in theorist chapters enhance comprehension and make it easier to review for tests.
- Major Concepts & Definitions box in each theorist chapter outlines a theory’s most significant ideas and clarifies vocabulary.
- Points for Further Study section at the end of each chapter indicates sources of additional information.
- References at the end of theorist chapters list the author’s primary and secondary sources of information.
- NEW theorists, chapter authors, and case studies provide research and expertise from countries across the world.
- NEW references and bibliographies demonstrate the ever-increasing use of nursing theory globally.
UNIT I: EVOLUTION OF NURSING THEORETICAL WORKS
1. Introduction to Nursing Theory: Its History and Significance
2. Nursing Theorists of Historical Significance
3. History of Nursing Science
4. Theory Development Process
5. The Structure and Analysis of Specialized Nursing Knowledge
UNIT II: NURSING PHILOSOPHIES
6. Florence Nightingale: Modern Nursing
7. Watson’s Philosophy and Theory of Transpersonal Caring
8. Theory of Bureaucratic Caring
9. Caring, Clinical Wisdom, and Ethics in Nursing Practice
10. Philosophy of Caring
11. Theory of Caritative Caring
UNIT III: NURSING MODELS
12. The Conservation Model
13. Unitary Human Beings
14. Self-Care Deficit Theory of Nursing
15. Conceptual System and Theory of Goal Attainment
16. Systems Model
17. Adaptation Model
18. Behavioral System Model
UNIT IV: NURSING THEORIES
19. The Theory of Nursing as Caring: A Model for Transforming Practice
20. Transitions Theory
21. Health Promotion Model
22. Culture Care Theory of Diversity and Universality
23. Health as Expanding Consciousness
25. Modeling and Role-Modeling
26. Symphonological Bioethical Theory
UNIT V: MIDDLE RANGE THEORIES
27. Maternal Role Attainment—Becoming a Mother
28. Uncertainty in Illness Theory
29. Self-Transcendence Theory
30. Theory of Illness Trajectory
31. Theory of Chronic Sorrow
32. The Tidal Model of Mental Health Recovery
33. Theory of Comfort
34. Postpartum Depression Theory
35. Theory of Caring
36. Peaceful End-of-Life Theory
UNIT VI: FUTURE OF NURSING THEORY
37. State of the Art and Science of Nursing Theory
Martha Raile Alligood, RN, PhD, ANEF, Professor Emeritus School of Nursing East Carolina University Greenville, North Carolina