A Medication Guide to Internal Medicine Tests and Procedures, E-Book
Page Count: 180
List Price: $44.99
Not Yet Available
Expected availability date: 10-01-2021
To be confirmed but will include the following types of tests and procedures:
- Abdominal ultrasound
- Ankle-brachial index
- Atrial fibrillation ablation
- Automated implantable cardioverter-defibrillator / permanent pacemaker
- Biopsies – i.e., renal, liver, lung, bone marrow
- Bladder scan
- Coronary artery bypass graft
- Capsule endoscopy
- …and approximately 50 others
- Process of diagnosing
- The steps (history, review of systems, physical exam, diagnostic tests/procedures)
- Creating and revising a differential diagnosis
- Nuances of tests: Bayesian probability, sensitivity, specificity, false positive, false negative, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, "ruling out" diagnoses
- Etymology and word root origins
- Periprocedural anticoagulation: basics, assessing risk, bridging
Diagnostic Tests & Procedures
- This portion is the bulk of the book and will contain approximately 60 tests/procedures, each in their own section/chapter. Each test/procedure is an individual section/chapter that will follow the format below.
[Title of Procedure]
- Description of name of the test
- Etymology - where the name comes from (link to latin/greek roots)
- What can the test tell you? / What circumstances would the test be performed?
- What are the possible diagnoses or suspicions that result from this test?
- Can the test tell you if there is a drug toxicity?
How it is done
- Who performs the test and in what setting?
- Physically what does the test entail?
- Are there medications used during or in preparation for the test?
- Is the patient awake/asleep, does the patient need to prepare for it?
- What is a normal test result or expectation?
- What to consider before the test?
- What to consider after the test, pending various results (limited to most common or exceptional examples)?
- What medications interfere with the test?
- What medications are used in the test?
- Citation list
Gregory J. Hughes, PharmD, BCPS, BCGP