Mulholland’s The Nurse, The Math, The Meds Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Use the simplicity of dimensional analysis to make accurate drug calculations! Mulholland’s The Nurse, The Math, The Meds, 5th Edition helps you overcome any math anxiety you may have by clearly explaining how to use the dimensional analysis method to minimize drug calculation errors. First, a review of basic math ensures that you remember essential math skills. The book then shows how to analyze and set up problems, estimate a reasonable answer, and evaluate the answer for accuracy. From nursing educator Susan J. Turner, this edition includes plenty of practice exercises as well as new Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) case studies to prepare you for the NGN exam.
- UNIQUE! Useful FAQs and answers in each chapter are based on years of classroom questions compiled by the author.
- UNIQUE! Communication boxes show sample nurse-patient and nurse-prescriber dialogues that can help reduce medication errors.
- UNIQUE! Ask Yourself questions help you synthesize information and reinforce your comprehension.
- Rapid Practice quizzes provide practice problems following each new topic, making it easy to master both math concepts and drug calculation at the same time.
- Mnemonics offer shortcuts to make memorization easier, and save time in learning.
- Red arrow alerts call attention to potential math errors and patient safety issues.
- High-risk drug icons are used to highlight potentially dangerous drugs.
- QSEN competencies are included where appropriate.
- Multiple choice-format questions at the end of each chapter help you review the material and prepare for the NCLEX® exam.
- Chapter finals boost your understanding by providing additional practice with the major concepts covered in each chapter; the answer key shows how to work out the problems.
- Comprehensive final practice boosts your understanding by providing additional practice with the major concepts covered through the entire text; the answer key shows how to work out the problems.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® case studies are included in the chapters on antidiabetes, anticoagulants, pediatrics, and advanced IV calculations.
- NEW! All drugs and their medication labels are updated, with new drugs and labels added and discontinued drugs and labels removed.
- NEW and Updated! Coverage of diabetic and anticoagulant drugs adds new medications and replaces those that have been discontinued.
Part I Math Review
1. Math Review
2. Dimensional Analysis Method
Part II Metric System and Medication Calculations
3. Metric Units and Conversions
4. Patient Records, Medication Orders, and Medication Labels
Part III Reconstituted Medications
5. Oral Medications
6. Syringes for Injection
7. Reconstitution of Medication
Part IV Parenteral Medications
8. Injectable Medications
9. Basic Intravenous Calculations
10. Advanced Intravenous Calculations
Part V Common High Alert Medications
11. Antidiabetic Medications
12. Anticoagulant Medications
Part VI Medications for Infants and Children
13. Pediatric Medication
Comprehensive Final Practice
Appendix A: TJC Do Not Use List
Appendix B: ISMP’s List of High=Alert Medications
Susan Turner, RN, MSN, FNP, Professor of Nursing, Gavilan College, Gilroy, California