Goodman and Fuller’s Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
A good comprehension of diseases and disorders is key to effectively assisting the Physical Therapist! Goodman and Fuller’s Pathology for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 3rd Edition provides your students with a solid background in pathology concepts and how they affect the role of the PTA in client rehabilitation. With an easy-to-read approach, chapters define each disease or systemic disorder, then describe appropriate physical therapy assessments plus guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for interventions. Case studies show how treatment ideas may be applied in everyday practice. Providing the practical tools required to treat patients knowledgeably and effectively, this market-leading pathology text includes a fully searchable eBook version with each print purchase.
- Concise information on disease processes and systemic disorders provides a background in the underlying pathology of diseases, helping PTAs to ask their patients appropriate questions and to adapt therapeutic exercise programs.
- Easy-to-follow format is organized to first define each disorder, followed by sections on clinical manifestations and medical management.
- Chapter objectives, outlines, and vocab builders at the beginning of each chapter introduce the topics and terminology to be presented.
- Medical Management sections address diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis for each condition discussed.
- Focus on the Physical Therapist Assistant’s role provides the PTA with specific guidelines to the rehabilitation process for patients with diseases and disorders.
- Special Implications for the PTA sections allow students to easily reference information on working with patients with specific diseases or pathologic conditions.
- Nearly 800 drawings and photos reinforce student understanding of diseases, conditions, and general pathology principles.
- Standardized terminology and language is consistent with the Guide to Physical Therapy Practice, familiarizing readers with the standard terminology used in PT practice.
- Abundance of tables and boxes summarize important points, making it easy to access key information.
- E-chapters add supplemental information on behavioral and environmental factors, the gastrointestinal system, the reproductive system, lab tests and values, and more.
- NEW! Updated and revised content throughout provides students with the current information they need to be effective clinicians.
- NEW! Clinical Pharmacology Spotlight provides an easy-reference summary of the basic pharmacology information for each pathology.
- NEW! eBook version is included with print purchase. The eBook allows students to access all of the text, figures, and references, with the ability to search, customize content, make notes and highlights, and have content read aloud.
SECTION ONE: Introduction
1. Introduction to Concepts of Pathology
2. Problems Affecting Multiple Systems
3. Injury, Inflammation, and Healing
SECTION TWO: Clinical Medicine
4. The Immune System
5. Infectious Disease
7. The Integumentary System
8. The Endocrine and Metabolic Systems
9. The Cardiovascular System
10. The Hematologic System
11. The Respiratory System
12. The Hepatic, Pancreatic, and Biliary Systems
SECTION THREE: Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System
13. Introduction to Pathology of the Musculoskeletal System
14. Genetic and Developmental Disorders
15. Infectious Diseases of the Musculoskeletal System
16. Musculoskeletal Neoplasms
17. Bone, Joint, and Soft Tissue Diseases and Disorders
SECTION FOUR: Pathology of the Nervous System
18. Introduction to Central Nervous System Disorders
19. Infectious Disorders of the Central Nervous System
20. Degenerative Diseases of the Central Nervous System
22. Traumatic Brain Injury
23. Traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
24. Cerebral Palsy
25. The Peripheral Nervous System
SECTION FIVE: (eBook only)
E1 Behavioral, Social, and Environmental Factors Contributing to Disease and Dysfunction
E2 The Psychosocial-Spiritual Impact on Health Care
E3 Environmental and Occupational Medicine
E4 The Gastrointestinal System
E5 The Renal and Urologic Systems
E6 Central Nervous System Neoplasms
E9 The Male Genital/Reproductive System
E10 The Female Genital/Reproductive System
E11 Vestibular Disorders
E12 Laboratory Tests and Values
Appendix A: Summary of Standard Precautions
Appendix B: Guidelines for Activity and Exercise
Charlene Marshall, BS, PTA, Director of Rehabilitation, Aegis Therapies, Edgewater Haven Nursing Home, Port Edwards, Wisconsin